• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Silky and Dylan - she nearly lost her nose

lucycat

Warren Scout
I have two buns Silky a small rex and Dylan a huge English Lop. I introduced them gradually and after some initial fights suddenly they got on last May hurrah.

then last week I noticed Silky had a wound on her nose consistent with a pretty major bite. Then yesterday I noticed that the end of her nose had nearly been removed and her eye looked cloudy. Thankfully after overnight at the vet she is ok on baytril, metacam, eye drops etc but ok.

Do I give up and accept that they will never be safe together? I have never seen Dylan be vicious to her since the original problems but he is definately more of a people bunny whereas silky wants bunny cuddles and I wont do. :?:

I am worried he would hurt her even more if I put them back together. :cry:

hi

If you split them up for any length of time over this, it's likely that he won't accept her back anyway, especially if he only really tolerated her at the best of times - I would worry about the size difference unless a pair of rabbits were really good friends, in the same way I would worry about putting a small guinea pig with a big rabbit...Unless you provide Silky with lots of room to avoid him, and small places to hide that he can't get into...But as I say, it's possible he won't even accept her now she's been away from him anyway :( Can you get her a smaller partner if he's more of a people rabbit?

hi

Just seen your post about foxes and realised that these 2 bunnies aren't even bonded and don't live together - that puts a different angle on it - I wouldn't let him get at her again if he's already hurt her :?

They initially fought so I gave up for a bit then tried again and after that they seemed to be getting on ok since May. They have seperate hutches with a linked run so that silky always had somewhere that was hers but she could get into Dylans hutch.

I thought they had bonded - well as best they would get. Silky seemed to adore him - licks snuggles shared his bed during the day nicknamed their double duvet. Then suddenly a bitten nose twice in two weeks 6 months later!

I want whats best for them both, the reason I got Silky was as a friend as this is the recommendation ie keep two as friends and bonded bunnies. I really feel sorry for her as she clearly cant feel safe with him. Her hutch is a triple decker with a run so I could get another friend for her but really do not want to go through this all again with another ....

you could always try get her a friend from a rescue then they could help with the bonding! :D

hi

Usually when rabbits are bonded they live together in the same hutch, so the territory is shared - I would guess in your rabbit's case that Dylan still regards his hutch as his territory, and lets her come in there if he's feeling nice - every time you seperate them you redefine their seperate territories, which is going to lead to confusion I would imagine - I'm useless at bonding - my new girl got her nose bitten a couple of weeks ago, by her 'intended' too :(

Its not usualy the boys that do the biting in this situation, girls are by far the worse. being your rabbit has almost lost her nose then NO i wouldnt try again. Try a rescue centre that could help you find a friend for your girl. val

The issue of the hutches was purely a practical matter to enable me to put them in overnight. The ramps are too tight for Dylan to get into silkys hutch.

But noticed something today whilst cleaning them out. There was a small hole under the hutch didnt look rabbity leading out the back. Heres a thought is it a rat that did it????

hi

If they really are a bonded couple, Silky can easily share Dylan's hutch at night - I'm sure he'll protect her from the big bad rat! :eek:

Back