• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox Defences

lucycat

Warren Scout
These worry me greatly.

I have two outdoor buns. They both have hutches double and triple and runs to go on the front/ All the hutches are small wire mesh as are the runs which have a lid. I have also meshed the ground under the edges of the runs to prevent scrapes being dug under the sides of the run.

But in the horsefield behind their is a fox den :!: :!: :!:

I am terrified that they will jump the fence (5 ft) and get to Dyl and silky.

How much prevention is required against a fox you hear they can get into anything????

they could clear a 5' fence easily, as to the defence I'm really not sure. I think I'd be tempted to buy a shed to house the hutches!

Make sure you have proper bolts not just wooden twists to close the doors, as these can be undone easily by something scrabbling at the hutch.

Use weld mesh (with small holes) rather than chicken wire. Make sure it is firmly fixed down, especially in corners.

Not sure what else :?

Tam

I would use one of those battery powered fox scarers - I found a few on ebay. I have one outside with the bunnies and it seems to have worked so far - it also scares away cats, dogs etc etc

not sure if this is any good without seeing how the hutches are ,but if say [to give you an idea of what i mean] you had a hutch with your mesh door, and closed off door. Get a piece of wood that would cover both door and mesh and hinge it to the top of the hutch. Then at night you can drop down the wood over the openings and have a catch at the bottom to secure it down. As for the run, i would not leave the rabbits in the run while your not at home.If its meshed all the way round and under then you should be ok, put two locks on the lid. val

Tamsin said:
Make sure you have proper bolts not just wooden twists to close the doors, as these can be undone easily by something scrabbling at the hutch.

Use weld mesh (with small holes) rather than chicken wire. Make sure it is firmly fixed down, especially in corners.

Not sure what else :?

Tam

Agreed. :wink:

Also we have 6ft fence with trellis on top (& fox-hating German shepherd & yorkshire terrier to greet them on the other side!! :roll: ) & they STILL get over...never underestimate a fox!

Back