• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying

without_halo

Alpha Buck
What is the recommended age to get a female bun spayed? I thought it was 6 months. Has this changed?

I took red to the vets yesterday :twisted: (she is certainly a fiesty red head) so she could have a check up and have her myxi jab before we put her in to be spayed (she will be 6 months old in a few weeks).

The vet won't spay her until after xmas when she is 8 months old. When we had Ginny spayed she was about 5 - 6 months old. Could it be because of red's size etc?

I hope not becuase it means I will become red's scrathcing post (someone who I do know that well thought I was self harming because of the scrathes on my forearm)

Basically the age varies from one vet to another. My vet will spay from 6 months, but I know that other local vets are different.

They *can* be spayed at 5-6 months depending on their size etc; some vets prefer to wait a bit longer until they are definitely fully grown and matured and also apparently leaving it a little longer can help improve their bone density.

My vet spays females as soon as they reach 1kg in weight. For average sized dwarf lops this usually means around 14 weeks, I have had lots done at that age and find they heal up a lot quicker. The operation isnt so invasive if done at a young age because as they get older they develop a layer of fat around the uterus so there is more to cut through.

Cheryl

Yeh, it depends on the buns weight. Is Red an Orange Rex by any chance...?? :D Jane and the Buns xx (many of them rescued Rexes!! :D )

Cheryl said
My vet spays females as soon as they reach 1kg in weight. For average sized dwarf lops this usually means around 14 weeks, I have had lots done at that age and find they heal up a lot quicker. The operation isnt so invasive if done at a young age because as they get older they develop a layer of fat around the uterus so there is more to cut through.

Our vet prefers to neuter the females earlier for similiar reasons around 4 - 5 months. I do agree that they seem to get over it a lot quicker.

I would go and contact other vets and see if they have different views, larger breeds are often done slightly later than small / medium sized buns as they mature later.

Janice

JCO said:
Yeh, it depends on the buns weight. Is Red an Orange Rex by any chance...?? :D Jane and the Buns xx (many of them rescued Rexes!! :D )

Yes she is a orange mini rex at the moment aka red devil..... she was weighed on Thursday and is 2kg.

Just a quick questions whilst jabs and spaying were mentioned.. should I get Leila vaccinated before having her spayed? I've just realised she might be at risk form infection if not..

I would definitely at least get her myxi done ASAP, when are you thinking of getting her spayed, if not for another 3 or 4 weeks you could safely get both myxi and VHD done before then.

Didin't have a definate date for spaying, so I think I will get both done before, just to be sure.. Thanks Alison

without_halo said:
What is the recommended age to get a female bun spayed? I thought it was 6 months. Has this changed?

I took red to the vets yesterday :twisted: (she is certainly a fiesty red head) so she could have a check up and have her myxi jab before we put her in to be spayed (she will be 6 months old in a few weeks).

The vet won't spay her until after xmas when she is 8 months old. When we had Ginny spayed she was about 5 - 6 months old. Could it be because of red's size etc?

I hope not becuase it means I will become red's scrathcing post (someone who I do know that well thought I was self harming because of the scrathes on my forearm)

My little girl was 2yrs old when she got done, she healed so well I was quite surprised how quick rabbits heal

Definately get the myxie vaccination done, it seems to be everywhere at the moment. I have heard of reported cases in Twickenham, Engleford Green, Ashford, Staines, Farnham and Fleet.

Janice

Dawn&Leila said:
Just a quick questions whilst jabs and spaying were mentioned.. should I get Leila vaccinated before having her spayed? I've just realised she might be at risk form infection if not..

My vets recommended that Red get her myxi jab before getting spayed as a priority. As we now have to wait before they spay her she will have her VHD jab done as well.

Thanks everyone, I will definately get her vaccinated first, i really don't want to risk it.

Janice, that is so close to me :shock: Scary :(

Back