• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chocolate, a lot of it about (approx 30 bars between 4).

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Ok I know I've been stupid but I put the left over chocolate for the trick and treaters on the stairs to take up and put away for the carol singers on Wednesday night. Basically I forgot, I had a reporter round Wednesday and he didn't go to 11.30 and I just went to bed and didn't take the stuff up I'd suppose to.

Bryn rang me yesterday while I was driving home from work to say most of it had been eaten. Mostly fun sized bounties (they seem to really like them) and the vegan chocolate. I rang the vets and they said there wasn't a lot they could do, they gave me an emergency number and I've got to keep and eye on them for the next few days and feed them a purely hay diet. Do I need to be doing anything else?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh god Tree bet Beatrix at emost of it from when you used to feed her chocolate when she was a baby! :lol: :lol:

Ooo-err!! :shock: I'd say as much hay as they can eat plus make sure their fluid intake is adequate. Naughty bunsters!! Mind you I'm with them on the Bounty Bars....SCRUMMY!! :lol: :lol: Prob good idea to keep a close eye on the size/quantity of their poops :oops: . If they become v small and dry or are significantly less than normal I'd get the vet to check the bunsters over.Perhaps some probiotics in their water too.... :? Jane and Buns xx

JCO said:
Ooo-err!! :shock: I'd say as much hay as they can eat plus make sure their fluid intake is adequate. Naughty bunsters!! Mind you I'm with them on the Bounty Bars....SCRUMMY!! :lol: :lol: Prob good idea to keep a close eye on the size/quantity of their poops :oops: . If they become v small and dry or are significantly less than normal I'd get the vet to check the bunsters over.Perhaps some probiotics in their water too.... :? Jane and Buns xx

Yep will do, I've some probiotics, so I'll do that thank you.

BirdieBun said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh god Tree bet Beatrix at emost of it from when you used to feed her chocolate when she was a baby! :lol: :lol:

:shock: OMG I've never fed Bea chocolate, you're trying to get me into trouble :lol: , it's not the first time she's stolen it, but never this much before :oops:

yes u did! u fed Bea chocolate and JON did feed little man a bit of chicken batter not me I dont eat meat! DOH! :roll:

BirdieBun said:
yes u did! u fed Bea chocolate and JON did feed little man a bit of chicken batter not me I dont eat meat! DOH! :roll:

What about the monster munch? I've not fed Bea Chocolate. I fed her a spud once, but that's because I didn't realise they were bad for her.

...I had a bun called Bea and she was ALWAYS stealing things...a stick of French Bread.... :shock: a packet of Cornflakes :shock: and a reasonable attempt at a melon!! :shock: :shock: Jane and Buns xx

JCO said:
...I had a bun called Bea and she was ALWAYS stealing things...a stick of French Bread.... :shock: a packet of Cornflakes :shock: and a reasonable attempt at a melon!! :shock: :shock: Jane and Buns xx

:lol: :lol: :lol: it must be the name, Bea's into everything, she even opens the fridge and steal things. We've put a doorstop in front of it now as the baby locks didn't use to stop her :lol:

When Gizmo was alive he use to like to share the dogs Pasta & Tuna. (no it wasn't that that made him pass away)

kayj said:
When Gizmo was alive he use to like to share the dogs Pasta & Tuna. (no it wasn't that that made him pass away)

It's mad isn't it, I think house bunnies get stern tummies because mine are iinto everything.

I really hope she is OK, unfortunately I've heard of buns not living after eating alot of chocolate.But that was pure chocies lets hope that coz these had other things in them not just straight chocolate that it will be different.

toffeepudding said:
I really hope she is OK, unfortunately I've heard of buns not living after eating alot of chocolate.But that was pure chocies lets hope that coz these had other things in them not just straight chocolate that it will be different.

aww thanks they all seemed ok last night, it's not the first time Bea has stolen choclate, she managed to rip open one of my christmas pressies a few years ago. The others have not eaten chocolate and Bea not to this extent :(

SOAD said:
kayj said:

It's mad isn't it, I think house bunnies get stern tummies because mine are iinto everything.

Our outside bunnies have a similiar tough stomache. One of the girls Smudge eats everything she can chew. I paniced like mad at first when she ate the tar roofing from her outside bunny box :shock: and the latex flooring plus the glue (I'll never ever know how she got that stuff up) from her old shed :shock:. Both these incidents were over a year ago now and she seemed fine (I really couldn't believe it). In fact she now seems to try and eat any laminate flooring she can. I have to make sure it is all firmly glued and nailed these days.

She now seems to target my trainers as her next source of sustinance!

nreal_hill, Bea has eaten my kitchen floor too, little madam :lol: I can't see wht's so appealing about it myself :D

Frankly I'm amazed (very pleasantly I hasten to add) that they don't poison themselves eating stuff like that? Just proves I guess that they're tougher than we give them credit for!!

nreal_hill said:
Frankly I'm amazed (very pleasantly I hasten to add) that they don't poison themselves eating stuff like that? Just proves I guess that they're tougher than we give them credit for!!

Yep deffo :lol: , all though I'll possibly get hime tonight and they'll all be dead :shock: :shock: (just kidding)

Back