• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worst weekend ever! Need some advice please

clazza

Young Bun
My son and I suddenly lost our lovely rabbit at the end of August, he was only 3 and we were looking forward to more time with him.javascript:emoticon(':cry:')

My son decided that the best way to replace him would be to get one from a rescue centre, in fact we took a pair, they are Rex, boy 18mths and girl about a year - Bunny and Clyde!

I came back from work on Saturday, only about 6 hours after I saw them in the morning and Clyde had passed away. He was fine in the morning, got lots of cuddles, the only thing I can think of was early fireworks over the road that had already started by the time I got back, got the better of him.

I have had Bunny checked out and she is ok, but did go a bit mad for the first couple of days shredding everything in sight!

Now I don't know if I need to have her paired up again, the vet wasn't sure about it, but the rescue centre recommend it. She grew up with Clyde so knew him well, I don't want to have to go through getting a partner and then giving him back when they start fighting a few weeks later, this has happened to a friend of mine, she's on her 4th friend for her rabbit now - a very fussy bunny! (The rescue centre will do the pairing).

I feel dreadful over losing both of these rabbits, and want to make sure Bunny has the best, but not sure what to do, any advice would be good.

Thanks

im sorry to hear about these losses :( and unexplained ones are the worst.

ive heard that recently bereaved buns respond better to bonding attempts because they're still pining for company, so i think it would be a good idea to try and get another to bond!

good luck i hope everything works out ok

Poor you!

You defo need to get her another partner, rescue centre will pair them for you! she will be an unhappy bunny otherwise

Bonnie

I am sorry to hear about your loss, I would certainly reccomend getting a partner for your lonesome bun. Rabbits are very social animals and love the company of a partner. As you say it is best to get a rescue to help you with starting off the pairing, at least you ahve some fall back if the pairing goes wrong soon afterwards. Do ensure that your hutch is thoroughly cleaned out prior to you putting them both back as sometimes problems can occure. This is more likely when you have a female and a male gets put into 'her' hutch. Some people do use smelly cleaners to thoroughly clean them out ensure that they are thoroughly dried and aired prior to returning any animals to it. Others will even paint / varnish / preserve the hutch with animal friendly paint to cover up 'old rabbit smells.

Janice

There are many reasons why a rabbit can suddenly deteriorate and die within hours. They are a prey in nature therefore disguise the fact they are ill very well. It could be that he developed gut stasis which is when the digestive tract stops moving and stops resulting in bloat. I have lost a bun to this and they deteriorate exceptionally quickly. Signs to look out for this are limited or small poops but this is hard to spot if you have more than one bun co-habitating.
Re. getting another partner for your rabbit - I would say yes. Having had a rabbit on its own and then getting him a partner I will always (where possible) ensure that a bun of mine has its own partner. If the rescue centre will help with the bonding and will take the new partner back if the relationship goes pear shaped then what have you got to lose?
Lots of people on here, including me, have paired up buns, they are rarely the same, some rabbits get along with others some don't.
Sorry to hear of your loss and good luck in finding your bun a new friend.

Sorry to hear about your 2 bunnies. My first bunny died very suddenly, aged 18 months, and it was a terrible shock.
I would definitely recommend another bunny friend. Bobby lost his friend, Nougat, in August of this year and he's never lived alone. He looked very down on his own and we got Ruby, a rescue bunny, the following week. They bonded with few problems and are now inseparable.
Good luck with it all.

Just one wee word of caution. Was the poor deceased bunny vaccinated against VHD. ?? If not it might be wise to have a chat with your vet prior to obtaining a new friend for your bereaved bunny. I am so very sorry for your loss. Jane xx and Buns xx

Thank you for your help and reading through my long post. I know that getting her a friend is the right thing to do really, they were so lovely together, I hope we can find her a chap who is equally as loving to her.

I think it's more me being too scared at losing another, the timing was awful too, the first one went the day after my son got back from his summerl holidays and died in his arms, and the other the day before he got back from the half term holidays, I think he thinks it's something to do with me!

Re the VHD - they have had their jabs, and poor old Clyde wasn't showing any signs of bleeding or anything horrible when I found him, and I have had Bunny checked out at the Vets too, so hopefully everything will be ok.

All I have to do now is explain it to the rescue place where I got them from - this will be tough :)

Now to ban fireworks!

At least it will be the same rescue that you can go back to. If they dont have anyone suitable.. what area are you in? we might know of some more :wink:
Sorry that you have lost 2 rabbits in a short time.. definitely sounds like Bunny needs a new fella around the place and its great that you are going to go looking for her.

Back