• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good news on the hunting front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabshan

Mama Doe
I have just been told that many hunts have now started "drag" hunting :) where a rider goes out & lays a trail for the followers to chase :) membership has actually increased since they started this as many riders were put off hunting by the fact that an animal would be killed at the end :( so no need to cull hounds & no huntsmans jobs lost :) must be good news for everyone concerned YAH!!! :)

It sounds good but I don't trust them. They may say its a drag hunt but who is going to police them to make sure they don't go after a fox. Plenty of them said they'd still do it even if it was illegal and I believe they will carry on hunting foxes as they will be allowed to get away with it.

/

I'm afraid I don't trust them either..most hunts are opening flouting the law and killing just as many foxes.

I lived in the country suround by hunt setc for years, I do hope that they continue doing a drag hunt, surely it must give them pleasure to go out, ride and have the dogs run too. Also I have watched them drag race the dogs on the fells in ambleside for years, it is very popular so hopefully this will be the way forward

I think drag hunting is an excellent alternative.

I'm anti any blood sports.

The League Against Cruel Sports has a campaign to help police the bloodsports ban (which is very difficult to police as you can imagine). It's all about reporting anything suspicious that you might see which leads you to believe that people are hunting foxes and not drag hunting. They are also appealing for donations of binochulars and videos/camcorders to help them collect evidence. Well done League Against Cruel Sports I say.

They probably have a website you can get more info from.

Rabswood

i whatched a program about fox hunting. the way they lay a scent down is not very nice :( . they have dead foxes in a barral of water and they soak rags in it and then drag it across the country side.

Have just seen BBC News 24 on the start of the hunting season. Bad news for rats and rabbits though - because of a loophole in the law people can go after them :(

Fox hunting will still go on,its just illgel to hunt with dogs now,but the dogs are sill allowed to chase the fox but there not allowed to kill it so instead some nasty people dig the fox up from its hole shoot it and the the dogs are allowed it because they didnt actually kill it
I watched a program about it a few months ago,so life for mr fox still isnt very good

Hate to say this to everyone but im FOR HUNTING!

I have my own horse and im going to go hunting this season. Foxes are a big problem and hunting is a good way to keep the numbers down. When you hunt only the sick or elderly foxes go. If people dont hunt them then the farmers will just go out and shoot them, this means that the healthy foxes will also die. It is also a way of life for many people. those are just a few reasons why im for hunting but anyway, i do think drag hunting is a good alternative for the time being!

Blossom_Flora said:
Hate to say this to everyone but im FOR HUNTING!

I have my own horse and im going to go hunting this season. Foxes are a big problem and hunting is a good way to keep the numbers down. When you hunt only the sick or elderly foxes go. If people dont hunt them then the farmers will just go out and shoot them, this means that the healthy foxes will also die. It is also a way of life for many people. those are just a few reasons why im for hunting but anyway, i do think drag hunting is a good alternative for the time being!

Sorry but I don't see how you can justify this point. :? You say hunting is a good way to keep fox numbers down but then you say that in a hunt only the sick or elderly foxes are killed. It is the healthy foxes that breed and increase fox numbers so if anything it is them that should be targetted if hunting is legitimately trying to reduce fox numbers.

My uncle and aunt have hunted in the Scottish borders for years and I know how barbaric it is - right down to the keeping a tail as a souvenir and also daubing the dead foxes blood onto a childs face :shock:

Living in caves used to be a way of life for all of us but thankfully we have evolved and become more sophisticated so the "this is a way of life" arguement is nonsense.

Also many people claim that the hunt is actually a better way to die as it gives the fox a "fighing chance" - this is total clap-trap what it does is forces the fox to run for miles and miles in a comlpetely panicked state (it can actually drive the fox mad with fear) and then corner it before it is finally (after a long long time spent trying to flee) ripped to shreds by a pack of hounds. This is beyond cruel - it is turning an animals total fear into a game/sport - if foxes must be culled then the most humane way is by skilled gun.

Pam

well we dont want to kill the population completely!!! Think of all the rabbits there would be! We just want to keep the numbers down and let the fittest only survive. This means a better and stronger fox population!!

Blossom_Flora said:
well we dont want to kill the population completely!!! Think of all the rabbits there would be! We just want to keep the numbers down and let the fittest only survive. This means a better and stronger fox population!!

Yes, I KNOW you don't want to kill the fox population completely, as that would RUIN YOUR FUN!!!

Hunts encourage foxes to breed, by creating dens for them, ensuring a good hunt season! You can hardly call that population control.

Bloodsports should have remained in the dark ages where they belong.

Jenny

wouldnt you prefer the foxes that massacre the rabbits to be gone? The foxes do exactly the same thing to the rabbits, survival of the fittest! By the way do you have any idea how bad it would be if there were not enough foxes to keep down the rabbits? They would be everywhere! Also, do you have any idea how bad it would be to have everywhere covered with foxes? People have even found them in their houses before! If you people love foxes so much then why do you want to keep the un healthy ones becuase they are just going to comtaminate the rest of the fox population!!

Just thought I would show you antis this:

Those against hunting come up with a load of rubbish in favour of their argument. Below are some of the claims they make... and the truth.

side.jpg

They say: Hunting is cruel

Rubbish.
“Hunting by hounds is the most natural and humane way of controlling the population of all four quarry species - fox, deer, hare and mink - in the countryside.” Statement supported by over 500 members of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.

“Naturally, people ask whether we were implying that hunting is cruel…The short answer to that question is no.”
Lord Burns, chair. Inquiry into Hunting with dogs.

This confirmed the findings of an earlier Government inquiry. Both inquiries found that death was almost instantaneous. The inquiry also found that shotgun use in the day & snaring - the main alternatives to hunting - are worse for animal welfare.

They say: Animals are chased to exhaustion

Rubbish.
Foxes and other quarry species are not hunted to the point of physical exhaustion and collapse, rather to the point where, when still running hard, they are caught up by the leading hounds. Equally deer will turn and face the hounds at bay when they are then shot by the huntsman. The huntsman cannot afford to deliberately prolong the chase because if he does so the hounds will be unable to continue the chase because of lack of scent.

They say: It is done by 'toffs' on horses who enjoy cruelty.

Rubbish.
This pathetic attitude is wholly untrue. 195,000 ordinary women and men from all walks of life, support hunting, most of them on foot. Logically it cannot be right for MPs to ban hunting with hounds, and not hunting with a gun or a fishing rod, purely because they don’t like the people they believe support hunting with dogs. The proposal to ban hunting is an attack on the people that hunt, rather than an improvement in animal welfare.

They say: The majority of the public want a ban.

Rubbish.
Only 36% of the public supports a ban on hunting. The majority of the public now consistently opposes
a ban.

They say: A ban will save animals lives.

Rubbish.
Lord Burns, chairman of the latest Government inquiry into hunting reported that, “If hunting were subject to a ban, I have little doubt that at least an equivalent number of foxes, deer and hares would be killed by other means.” The welfare case for hunting is irrefutable.

Isn't it freedom of choice live and let live, why should you impose your rules on people who obviously enjoy to hunt. You shouldn't force your rules and way of life onto others, after all they are only foxes. At least they've had a good life in the wild, before they are killed. Just agree to disagree and let the huntsmen get on with it.

The other side of the arguement is-

It isn't nature. Foxes are at the top of the food chain and have never been hunted by other predators over long distances. When wolves were present in this country they may have chased scavenging foxes away from their food and occasionally caught and killed one. For wolves to chase a small animal such as a fox over long distances in the way that hounds do would not give sufficient 'reward' for their expenditure of energy. If foxhounds had to rely simply on the foxes which they catch for food, they would starve very quickly indeed.

When the hounds catch a fox above ground, they will bite at the nearest part of the fox available, often the hind legs or rear quarters. Many post mortems on hunted foxes have shown extensive and massive injuries to the abdomen, lungs, heart and hind quarters but have found no evidence of injury to the head or neck. The fox will die quickly, often in a matter of seconds or a minute or two, but death is very rarely instant. This only deals with the actual kill at the point where the fox has been chased and suffered sometimes for hours beforehand, causing great suffering.

About 40% of foxes killed by hunts are cubs killed during the cub hunting season - hardly old and sick.

A recent scientific study published in the scientific journal nature proved that hunting plays no part in the control of fox numbers. In 1km square areas across the country fox faeces were counted to assess the size of the fox population in three consecutive years. The second count showed numbers to be virtually the same as the first count after a year of full hunting. The third count was also virtually the same as the first two after a year in which hunting had been suspended due to the outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease. So with or without hunting, fox numbers stay the same. Their populations are regulated by the availability of food supply and territory, not by hunting.

A majority of people in the countryside support a ban on hunting. It is country people who experience at first hand the havoc, disruption and intimidation by hunts and are therefore more strongly opposed to it. This is not a town versus country issue, it's cruelty versus humanity.

Banning any activity which harms no one else would be wrong
NONSENSE!
If the people who argue this really believed it then they would be leading campaigns to bring back bear baiting, **** fighting, whaling, the ivory trade, and to repeal all animal welfare legislation giving people the right to cruelly mistreat any animal as long as they don't affect any people while doing so.
It has long been accepted that laws protecting animal welfare are perfectly legitimate and are almost universally accepted. A ban on hunting would give wild animals the protection from cruelty that domestic animals currently enjoy.

Foxes are not unique in killing more, sometimes much more, than they can eat at the time. This entirely natural phenomenon known as surplus killing, is widespread among other carnivorous animals such as wolves, lions and tigers. If a predator is able to catch an animal it will do so, even when it is not hungry, because the meal can be saved for another day when food is short. When this happens with foxes in a hen house it is an unfortunate but entirely natural response to an artificial situation.
A recent study from the University of York has found that lamb losses to fox predation is 0.4% of lambs born, or one in 250. The vast majority of lambs lost die of malnutrition, hypothermia and disease. The cost of carrying out fox control far outweighs the minimal losses to fox predation. Half of our farmland is grazed by cattle, where foxes are no trouble. The other half is predominantly arable; foxes kill three of the major pests to arable farmers - rabbits, voles and mice. So over much of Britain, foxes are actually a benefit to farmers.

When the hounds catch a fox above ground, they will bite at the nearest part of the fox available, often the hind legs or rear quarters. Many post mortems on hunted foxes have shown extensive and massive injuries to the abdomen, lungs, heart and hind quarters but have found no evidence of injury to the head or neck. The fox will die quickly, often in a matter of seconds or a minute or two, but death is very rarely instant. This only deals with the actual kill at the point where the fox has been chased and suffered sometimes for hours beforehand, causing great suffering.

Incase you havent realised, when people shoot them instead, it is often worse as it goes un-noticed when the fox has not been shot correctly and is in fact, still alive but in a great deal of pain and severely injured.

With the hounds the fox will never have a prolonged death.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is just mine.

By the way, what would we do without the hunts when animals die? It's hard enough with all the new regulations, its too limited already!! So when the foxes kill a lamb, what do you do with it? The hunt disposes of it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back