• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Litter trays...again!

melaniejb

Mama Doe
We have just got two beautiful bunnies :)love: our first) and are in the process of litter training! The lady at the rescue centre said that they were using a 'messy corner' so it would probably be fairly easy to litter train them.

I've got them a big litter tray which I have put in their bedroom compartment of their hutch and they have used it quite a lot! :D

However they both have also had quite a few accidents. I have swept up their poos and put them in the litter tray and I have put the wet paper/hay in the litter tray too but they are still weeing in another couple of spots! :roll:
I think I know who the culpret is as Poppy spends most of her time in the litter tray, Albert on the other hand spends his time in the main compartment of the hutch...hmmm, three guesses who it is!!!! Boys! :roll:

I guessed that initially they were marking their territory but I'm not unsure that its becoming a second 'messy spot'. Do you think that we should get them a second litter tray or would this just make their hutch one giant litter tray and totally defeat the object...? :?:

What shall I do????????

Any advise would be gratefully received!!!

Melanie :)

I would pop another litter tray in, personally. Squidgy has 3 :shock: . He's an indoor bunny, and we've popped one in his bedroom compartment for ease of cleaning, one's downstairs (double hutch) with his food dish in. He then started weeing on the throw in front of his hutch that he uses during the day, popped one there too.
The bunnies outside however, just like to use the one between them :? which now needs cleaning out twice a day, as it can get disgusting if left longer than 12 hours. Yuck!
Well done on the bunnies by the way, they sound like they've settled in well.

If u don't want to have to pop in another tray try cleaning the second spot (not just moving the poo's into the tray) if the smell is still there they will still go there.

Thanks for your advise, I had actually been cleaning it up but it was still happening :roll: ! So I put the washing up bowl in last night and so far, so good!! :wink:

Melanie

Hmmm, I take it back! I've just got home from work and unfortunately there are still the odd wee patches elsewhere in the hutch! :roll:

I've been reading other people's posts about litter training and they said to make the litter tray different to the rest of the areas. One person has put lino tiles on the hutch floor and hay in the litter tray.

At the moment I have put newspaper on the floor then covered it with hay which soon after I have made up for the buns, Albert then destrys it :roll: ! I think he prefers lying directly on the floor of the hutch, do yo think it may be a good idea to just newspaper the floor and put all the hay in the litter trays? Would you bother putting hay on the newspaper? I'm guessing that if I do it this way, i'll be able to spot the wee faster and clean it up better, as at the moment I have to seep through it to find wet hay/patches!!! :?

As I've said before, any help VERY gratefully received!

Melanie

AlbertandPoppy.jpg

Had u cleaned out their hutch before u found the scattered wee marks? It may just be territory marking they may not do it again. There is nothin wrong with just newspaper and hay in their litter trays that I can see. Let me know if it works.

hi

If Poppy's not spayed it's probably her - my unspayed girl likes to spot the carpet for me (I woz here!) but the 5 unspayed girls in the shed are really good using their trays - they have one each though, which is very important - you can't have too many trays :D

Back