• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very sticky bottom....how to clean??

loulouembers

Warren Scout
Had a check thru forum but cant find answers. My blue rex has a sticky bottom. It is quite matted and dirty. He also has some muck under his chin where he has tried to clean. I am thinking my best plan is no more greens and to gently clean with warm water?? He doesnt seem to eat much hay. His dry food is rabbit royale which he has been on since I got him in May. He is 16 months old. He has a litter tray and always uses that until now. He doesnt seem to be weeing much either. Any suggestions?? :?: :bunny:

hi

If he lives outside you don't really want to get him wet this time of year - you could try a dry bath with cornflour - the cooking type - just massage it in and it's silky and helps the dirt slide off - so I've heard :)

Royale is a mix isn't it? He may be eating his fav bits and too much of them if you keep it topped up - Best thing is to put him on hay only for a week and see if it clears up - If he doesn't eat hay then that may be because he prefers his dry mix - if you limit the dry mix to a handful a day then he will have to eat more hay when he's hungry - that's what my most recent bunny did anyway :)

My 8 year old rabbit was getting in a right mess over the summer, so we had to bathe his bottom regularly (he has his own flannel and towel!), but recently we have bonded him with a 7 year old, and changed his diet, (a lot less dry food and plenty of hay and grass), and now his bottom is lovely and clean!!!

It's taaken us a while, but we've finally got Squidgy sorted out, as he used to get a sticky bottom (we cleaned it with baby wipes). He gets a handful of pellets a day (was excel, now changing over to Allen and Page), most in his treat ball so he has to work for them, hay and very limited veg. He's a reluctant hay eater, so we put a few pellets in his hay bowl, to tempt him!

Ooow a Rex!! :D Sounds like your wee man is not getting enough Fibre. Believe it or not is is often not veggies that cause mucky bums :oops: but too much concentrated dried mix. You could try reducing the amount of mix you give by half and of course always have hay available. Timothy Hay seems to be a favorite with buns. The bagged hay you get in pet shops is not always very good. If you can locate a Horse Feed Supplier you could try their hay. They will have different cuts and it works out heaps cheaper to buy hay in bales than in made up pet shop bags. You can order Timothy Hay online from www.westwaleswillows.co.uk they also do a range of willow based toys. It is better to try to address the cause of a buns mucky bum :oops: rather than just dealing with the consequences of it. Good Luck and Snuggles to Rex Bun!! :D JCO and Buns xx

I'd switch the rabbit royale to a pellet like science selective, excel light or allen and page! and Timpthy hay though expensive is a good bet, I've a bunny that doesnt eat much hay but he will eat this!!!

If the fur is very matted you might want to pop to the vets so that it gets a good clean - I had a very distressing visit to the vets today where my bunny (only came to me at the weekend) went to have her bun cleaned and getting the matted hair off ripped her skin.

I had tried bathing in warm water for a few days but it didnt make any diference - it really does depend on how bad it is.

Hope bunny is ok - I will be folowing the suggestions below too x

Back