• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do your outdoor buns sleep on?

helenlop2

Young Bun
Hi,

My 2 lops live in a shed with carpet on floor and in their bunks. They do not seem to tolerate any bedding whatsoever. I've tried straw, hay and some condensed bedding stuff, all of which is quicky pushed out of the way. They are both very good with their litter trays (which are outside in their run) and I don't want to push the issue with straw incase they get confused and think its a new litter tray! They generally keep their shed very clean if not untidy!

Now the weather is finally turning, what else can I try for their bedding as I'm worried they may feel the cold over the winter especially if it gets as cold as they forecast.

What do you all do?

Thanks,

Helen

I use a mix of shredded paper and hay by buns really seem to enjoy this as they can dig in it and bury them selves XX

hi

I would just give them a couple more litter trays in their shed as well as the ones in their run - then if you put lots of hay in them they will have somewhere cosy to sit and eat, and it won't matter if they toilet there too :)

on the top half of the hutch where Alfie spends most of his time i have newspaper and safe pet bedding (don't know what its called??) and a bunny sized rug. He sleeps on that and loves it, although sometimes he throws the rug down the hutch and just sleeps on newspapper.

Never ever goes into his sleeping compartment!

My shed rabbits have a big dog basket that they have elected to use as a giant litter tray :roll: That is always full of hay. They also have a big wooden box to go into that is also full of hay, plus a couple of open fronted cupboards, again with hay in them. But they often just lie on the floor :lol:

Other than a female rabbit raising babies I think wild rabbits just curl up together in a bare earth warren. They don't collect bedding - they're inbuilt fur blankets :D

If they have a wodden floor that should warm up nicely from their heat and as if they shove their bedding at the walls then that will insulate them anyway :lol: Mine shove everything out the way and sit in the hollow in the middle.

It's just a bunny thing I think :D

Tam

Mine won't use their blooming hutches! They sit on top of them, even when it's really cold :shock: . Either that or under them (on concrete :roll: ). I line the hutches and litter trays with newspaper, then lots of straw on top, with hay at one end to munch on!

bedding...

I use a layer of shavings, then some straw and a bit of hay thats meant for eating but they usually bed down in it instead.. is better for us to buy by the bale as we have the storage to keep it in... might be worth checking if hampster bedding is safe for rabbits and then trying that, it looks soo cosy..

I have three buns in the shed and two in the playhouse...

I bought them plastic dog beds with lovely cushions in and they just weed on it and sat on the floor .... so theybhave been removed .... there most favourite thing is a cardboard box all sealed up with a hole cut in the side then filled with hay ... the shed is full of cardboard boxes but they all snugggle in the same one :love:

The two buns that live in the playhouse dont have quite so much room ... they have a dog bed filled with hay ... which they use as a litter tray .. I think it must be the plastic that confuses them they also have a carboard box fillled with hay and they love it!

Give it ago ... sshould they wee in them you can just throw them away anyway ... though my buns don't wee in them but they do rip them up .... but it keeps them busy and I just supply a new one :D

concrete! :twisted: but they do have a big snuggly litter tray to cuddle up in thats filled with lots of hay, and the sheds carpeted, they just prefer to sleep outside in the run! :shock: :lol:

sorry; answering about an indoor bun--

in bob's apartment, he will invariably move the bedding out of the way so he can just sleep on the bare floor of his pen. when we clean out the cage of all the bedding and put fresh in, it's amusing to me to see him burrowing like a bulldozer moving things around to where he wants them!!

In Princess's shed she has a blanket with vet bed on + a fleecy cat bed, that when very cold has a Snuggle safe in. Her fave is def the cat bed, I find her sprawled out in it most of the day!! The other two have fleecy cat beds too + Amy also has a play tent with a blanket or towel in. Pippa has a Snugglesafe too, I find them really good cos Pip is a bit older now + not in the best of health.

Nicola

I've been worrying if mine will be warm enough too.They have the pet carrier filled with straw and blankets under the hutch (the hutch is also inside a playhouse) which is where they always seem to be.
Nicola,I noticed you've got vet bed.I've just bought one but haven't used it yet as I wasn't sure if they'd chew the fluff,do yours do that? It looks so snuggly and warm though,I'd really like to use it especially if we're going to have the bad weather thats been predicted.

My buns are really good + don't chew their vet bed at all - I must be very lucky! Pippa has had a go at her fleecy bed (god knows why, must have been a bad day as she hasn't done it since!) but vetbed stays intact :) Best thing to do would be to try them + observe closely. My buns love the vetbed + snuggle into it.

Nicola

bobsmom said:
sorry; answering about an indoor bun--

in bob's apartment, he will invariably move the bedding out of the way so he can just sleep on the bare floor of his pen. when we clean out the cage of all the bedding and put fresh in, it's amusing to me to see him burrowing like a bulldozer moving things around to where he wants them!!

I'm glad that Albert's not the only one! :roll:

Mine have various cardboard boxes with a hole to get in and out, lined with newspaper and straw. The lage box which they can all get it is always used as a litter tray (they use a plastic litter tray as well) the boxes up on the shelves are rarely weed in though, but I can tell they use them.
They also have a snuggle safe.

Rabswood

Back