• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

French Lop Lover - I want one!

dogmaddebbie

Young Bun
A visit to my local pet shop at the weekend had a gorgeous French Lop rabbit in which I fell in love with. I would love to add one to my collection of pets.

After doing some research on the Internet, I love the black otter colour and was wondering if anyone knows of any breeders in the Lancashire area.

Also I would like a male but would want to keep two so they have each other for company, would this be OK?

Also what size accomodation would I need for them? At the moment I have an 8x6 ft shed which my current pair of bunnies live in, so I would need to get something else. I love some of the examples of your deluxe rabbit sheds/mansions on here.

Look forward to your responses.

Debbie

I don't know of any breeders sorry but if you look on the RR pages i think there are a few frenchies on there looking for homes. And for two your best to have a male and a female rather than two males as they can fight unless bonded when very young. XX

You will all be tired of my talking about my fostered Frenchies, but here I go again. I know how tempting it can be to see a baby Frenchie and
I am pleased you are considering rescuing. There are some French babies there and also a Holland Lop baby which is a large rabbit. If you get the chance to go and look at the two adult ones advertised on RR, without doubt I am sure their personalities will shine through, which might not be evident from their piccies. The two girls I am fostering are in the words of my sister (who is not a rabbit lover) like two bruisers!!! They are the size of two small dogs and one has this huge "boxer" like face. But I have had them in my kitchen since September and they are the most lovely temperament which has come out gradually and they have grown in beauty as their personalities have come out.

Hi Debbie,

Antoher frenchie fan...great!

I have one, she is about 7 months old now and like Raine said, they grow into lovely big bunnies! Thumper was about 12 weeks old when we had her, see this picture.
Thumper.jpg

Over the summer, she has grown and grown and grown...now the size of a cocker spainel dog (with shorter legs admittidely!) and her personality ranges from teenage strops to lovely calm relaxed funny bun. She does have a temper and can be very destructive but no doubt this will improve with age and spaying.
IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/HJVA/Thumptube.jpg[/IMG]
To give you an idea of her size, she is about 4 months old in this tube - there is no way she'd fit in it now.

She lives with Dopey, a medium sized english lop and they bonded instantly. Dopey is neutered, great temprament and was a bachelor bun for 2 years before Thumper arrived. They get on famously and will not be separated. Here is a pic of them a few months ago. Thumps is twice the size now.
Patiotogether.jpg

They live in a luxury playshed with large run attached and have a run in the garden most evenings - they can run very fast and needs lots of room. She reminds me of a greyhound when she races across the lawn and can also jump very high!

Good luck in your search, I don't know of any breeders. We were very lucky to find ours since they are quite hard to come by.

Helen

dogmaddebbie said:
A visit to my local pet shop at the weekend had a gorgeous French Lop rabbit in which I fell in love with. I would love to add one to my collection of pets.

After doing some research on the Internet, I love the black otter colour and was wondering if anyone knows of any breeders in the Lancashire area.

Also I would like a male but would want to keep two so they have each other for company, would this be OK?

Also what size accomodation would I need for them? At the moment I have an 8x6 ft shed which my current pair of bunnies live in, so I would need to get something else. I love some of the examples of your deluxe rabbit sheds/mansions on here.

Look forward to your responses.

Debbie
Look at this site :love: http://www.giantrabbitrescue.co.uk/4498/index.html

I've got 2 Brothers Scooby and Shadow 5 months old
ScoobyShadoweye.jpg

I think a black otter French lop would be very difficult to find, especially in rescue. I have 4 and they are completly different to the smaller buns. They really do have fantastic characters.

This is Humphrey my boy

DSCN0939.jpg

He is now bonded to Mabel my blue and white butterfly french lop. Must take some piccies of them now they are together they look soo cute!

Ebony

DSCN0928.jpg

Mabel

DSCN0918.jpg

Martha, my favourite bun ever!

DSCN0914.jpg

Welcome to the world of frenchies! :D
I have 3, Digby a blue longcoated buck, he is the soppiest rabbit ever and was my first ever frenchie and it`s all down to him that i became totally obsessed with the breed!!!!!!! They have great personalities, yes they`re all different but i lust love them! :love:

This is Digby
digby.jpg

This is Angel, Digby`s sister. She is also very friendly and loves to help you clean her hutch i:e: grab the dustpan and chuck it out!
angel.jpg

This is Brutus. He`s only 4 mths and as you can see he`s already a pretty big chap.
Brutus3.jpg

Hope you do decide to get a rescue one, but please bear in mind how big they get.

Su.

:wave:

Back