• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dripping water bottles!

hoppitylops

Warren Scout
I use the ordinary run of the mill drinking bottle, but i am fed up with the drips and how easy they break when dropped, at the moment i am replacing 2 a week, i know they are cheap but i am finding them to be nasty as well! :lol: Can anyone recommend a drip free, less breakable [a bouncing one would be great :lol: ] bottle? :?:

R u talkin about the bottles with the ball things on the end? I find that if u push the ball around abit (poke it in) it will stop dripping. They shouldn't break if they are plastic. I've droped mine a few times and it hasn't broken.

I usually find with dripping bottles that there is something making the ball stick, give it a good clean out, this may help. If not though i have no idea about other bottles sorry XX

try filling th ebottle to the top with no air bubbles in there, so it creats a vacum and it wont drip! as for the breaking when dropped best thing to do is NOT DROP IT! :D

I am using the Ezi-fill bottles http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/ezi-filla.html they are really good for the rabbits and they don't appear to drip and they are so easy to fill using a watering can with a small spout without having to take them off the hutch.

The piggies is a different story, some have got the idea about drinking out of them without letting a lot of it drip out of their mouths on to the ground, some of them empty their bottles really quickly and there is water everywhere requiring them needing cleaning out everyday which is not ideal when I have so many.

For some piggies they are good, and for the rabbits I have so far had through since I purchased them they are excellent.

Janice

Thanks for the suggestions guys :thumb: It is the "classic" bottles i use, i find it is the plastic top or the mouth piece that breaks when dropped, [yes, i should be more careful :oops: ], i now have lots of bottles with no tops in my shed :lol: The ezi-fill bottles look interesting might give them a try, is it the 500ml size you use for the bunnies Janice?

Not sure I like the idea of the Ezi-Fill bottles. :? I always empty out any remaining old water and replace with all new fresh water daily. It feels like with that system you'd be putting fresh water on top of "stale" water, which would mix so it would never be really fresh water reaching the buns?

I do use the 500 mls for the bunnies, I just totally empty their bottles every other day.

Janice

The Classic bottles get very brittle and do crack - also, the opening at the top is very narrow. I much prefer the Rotastak ones which are a white plastic rather than clear - opening is wider and the plastic is softer - so almost bounces. Savic also do them that are very similar to the Rotastak ones but seem to be less readily available.

I give all my pet a choice when I first get them of a bottle or bowl and they all prefere a bowl of water. I don't think I'd like to drink my Vodka and coke by licking a metal ball :lol:

Dont you find that the bowls of water get contaminated or knocked over,
I think it would worry me that they were drinking poo infested water or worse still no water at all.
GILL.

I have always have had to change water bowls 2 or 3 times a day if I have used bowls, with piggies the water gets filthy as they walk through it. Rabbits are variable. If I have them in an area where there is no bedding about they keep clean better than if they are on a level with hay or paper.

For my animals bottles are best.

Janice

i use the classic water bottle but i have broke one once i dropped it on the floof and the metal pary snapped off so i had to go out and buy a new one but ive not had any problems with them dripping so i think they are ok

bunnygal said:
I think it would worry me that they were drinking poo infested water or worse still no water at all.
GILL.
I've never had any probs over 8 years with bunnies and bowls, I change the water AM and PM. The rabbits have a Spaniel drink bowl that has very high sides and are narrow to stops ears from dipping in and it's shapped so they can't tip it over. I only have 2 rabbits so maybe thats why it stays clean.

:thumb: Received today 10 Ezi-filla bottles as recommended by Janice, first impressions are good, well made, look as if they will be easily cleaned and most importantly bunny friendly :D The ultimate test will be when i drop one! :lol: Will let you now the outcome.

bunnygal said:
GILL.

I tried to use bowls and Albert loved them however Poppy knocked them over/pushed hay into them/chucked food in them and I even found a couple of random poos :shock: :shock: :shock: ! I now use water bottles in their hutch and a bowl when they are out and I've got one eye on them!

Useful topic though, our water bottle drips constantly!

Back