• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best Mate (Race Horse)

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday you ran your last race. No-one knew at the start that you were destined for the other side of Rainbow Bridge. We who are left behind will try to understand that to regain a physical strength to match your MIGHTY SPIRIT you had to leave us. Gallop free proud man. JCO and Buns xx

best mate

Hey JCO :) you beat me to it :) I was going to put on a tribute to one of the bravest :) most loved race horses today :) I feel shattered by this news & have had a snivel :cry: I love the sport of racing but hate this side to it :x I know that this can happen anywhere (my freinds horse had a heart attack & died as she was riding him in his field) I think he should have been retired as he had been ill :( I saw his stablemate Edredon Bleu taken from Cheltenham in a horse ambulance & it was touch & go wether he would survive :( he did & is now enjoying retirement :) shame Matey wont be able to :evil:

Yeh, I've been thinking about that..... :? In my 'yoof' I used to do X-country and Point-2-Point. My horse loved it and so did I. :D But with age (and the inevitable acknowledgement of danger and mortality!!) I started to wonder if some equestrian sports put too many demands on the horse... :? It has been many,many years since I could watch The National. Best Mate's death is tragic, but at least it was not the result of a horriffic accident Sorry to waffle on but I think it is just flat racing for me now. JCO and Buns xx (I mean as a spectator...I'm far too old and rickety to participate :lol: :lol: !! ) x

yeah i hate the national would never bet or watchh it it is truely torturous for the poor horses and like you say JCO at least it was not a horrific death for Best Mate :)

you would have thought they would have let him retire after his vessel poped in was it Feb?

Poor boy, bless him

His jockey said he loved to run.
And he was happy running yesterday.
And now he is runnign free at the Bridge.

He had won best turned out horse too.
I think it was a flat race but I may be wrong.
I hate the Grand National.

It is so sad that a beautiful animal has passed over to the Bridge.

However I cannot agree with your thoughts on the National or jump racing as my family have had many horses that have run in the National and other events and they simply adored it.

Contrary to what many people think these horses are much loved and lead very pampered lives with the best of everything - and yes, they do have time to play :D

However whatever the ins and outs of racing - it is always hard when an animal passes on.

lol Pam

So sorry to hear about your Best Mate. I hope you can take comfort in the thought that he was enjoying hmself and not ill or suffering. Just so hard for you.

kimbun's mum said:

However I cannot agree with your thoughts on the National or jump racing as my family have had many horses that have run in the National and other events and they simply adored it.

Contrary to what many people think these horses are much loved and lead very pampered lives with the best of everything - and yes, they do have time to play :D

However whatever the ins and outs of racing - it is always hard when an animal passes on.

lol Pam

I know the horses are loved but are also at a high risk of breaking their legs which can not be cured so they have to be shot - why risk that when they can just flat race. By the end of the National the horses are absolutely knackered it is too much for them :(

BirdieBun said:
kimbun's mum said:

lol Pam

I know the horses are loved but are also at a high risk of breaking their legs which can not be cured so they have to be shot - why risk that when they can just flat race. By the end of the National the horses are absolutely knackered it is too much for them :(

Hmmmm as an animal lover I can not agree with the national. When I was a lass, I wanted to be a jockey, but I grew too big :lol: . I was lucky enough to have a mom who'd let me have horses and spent my youth with horses. Ignorantly I thought they national was cool, i've since learnt its the most barbaric and cruel race ever and it's just another example of how we take advantage of animals :cry: . I believe the national should be banned it's sick form of pleasure :cry: and a horrible money making scheme.

aww Tree I agree with everything you say there gosh you really sound professional with your opinions sometimes :D

BirdieBun said:
aww Tree I agree with everything you say there gosh you really sound professional with your opinions sometimes :D

:shock: :shock: :shock: What are you after :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well all I can go on is my families experience and our horses loved it. :D

Those of you you are old enough to remember Red Rum will also recall how excited he used to get and even until the year he died you could see his excitement as he lead the Parade. :D

Anyway I guess we will have to just differ here :D

lol Pam

Back