• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this mites? No it wasnt! (update)

bunnyloopy

Alpha Buck
OK so i posted a topic yesterday about weight loss but it would appear I need to do something sooner than a diet! I noticed she had a smelly bum so turned her over and she has lost quite a lot of hair near her bum and lower back. It looks sore but the skin isnt broken. I had a rabbit that had this before and I think he was treated for mites? Would that be a likely cause?

She also found it v distressing when i gave her a soak and cleaned her. Do you think I should take her to the vets or keep giving her bum a bath and a clean everyday?

Yes she may well have mites but if the hair has come away roung her bits then get the vet to check she hasent a urin infection. val

I agree with Val definitely get her to the vet to be checked out, bunnies skins is very thin and delicate, best be on the safe side and find out what is causing it now before it gets worse. Above the tail and the lower back is the classic place for this if its mites, and it usually accompanied with flaky white bits.

I hope she is OK, let us know how you get on.

Bevbunny - you were right bunnies skin is v thin. I had a very distressing visit to the vets today. Vet was great and gave her bum a good clean. As he was shaving her matted fur off her skin split open - it was disgusting. He had to staple it back together - i asked him not to as I thought it would hurt her. But he assured me it was OK.

I had to sit down as I thought I was going to pass out. Thanks for pushing me to go to the vets. Fingers crossed she will be OK - glad I went when I did as he didnt think she would have lasted much longer.

It wasnt mites just where she had been allowed to sit in her own urine. :(

Urine scald can be nasty. That must have been awful for you at the vets but at least you know that its being treated and should start to get better soon.

Send her lots of snuggles from us, and I'll tell the buns to keep their paws crossed for her. :D

oh yes thats what he said it was - i have given her a pillow to lie on and she looks abit happier now. thanks for keeping everything crossed xxx

poor little bun . well done for sorting it

think i would have felt faint too watching him staple her. i was bad enough today when i took a bun and vet clipped his teeth .
urggh
Angie

Yes I agree Val - sometimes you just need someone to tell you! She is doing much better today and has had a run about and is happy to sit with me as long as i bring the pilolw along for her bum!!I am so nervous about bathing her and giving her her meds in case I hurt her - glad its the weekend so I can spend time with her after being nasty mummy and then rushing out to work x

Back