• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rubys a boy

bunnymummy

Young Bun
We have been a little unsure of Rubys sex since we have had her/him. At eight weeks it was hard to tell but the "bits" looked female. we now have checked her/him and 99% sure its a male. Not bothered by that apart from the fact Derek and Ruby :? (not sure what to do about name) have bonded so i'm worried about them fighting when Ruby sexually matures. Will neutering prevent this as i plan to have him neutererd as soon as pos.

You may be lucky and not have fighting but I think you'll have to see how it goes. Get him neutered as soon as the vet will do him. You could change his name to Reuben or Rudy :D

If it is a boy you may be lucky if you get him castrated very quickly, as soon as you see the testicals. Once he smells like another male thats when the trouble will start. val

I have two boys who are bonded and very happy together. I've got them when they were about 12 weeks old (they are now nearly 2), and they have never been apart longer than a few hours. Dougal was always the more confident one, so he was neutured the day he was big enough, and Ted a couple of weeks after, to try to avoid any potential problems. I've never had any problems with them fighting, they do squbble over food but thats just them being silly. I would give it a go and see what happens, I know I've been lucky, and that I may be in the minority with my two, but two boys can work. See how it goes! Good Luck!

You may be lucky and not have any problems as long as you get him neutered as soon as his testicles drop. I would certainly advise that you take both of them to the vets when you get Ruby neutered as separating them even for short periods of time may present a problem.

Janice

Thanks for your advice, He/she is 12wks now but no sign of testicals (Dereks had dropped by then) but he/she is spraying.I'm so worried about them fighting and what to do for the best. :? ,

We found out our Ruby was male - even the vet confirmed he was a she when we took him for his vaccination. He kept his secret for five weeks and he is now called Rooby - it didnt seem right to call him anything else.

Back