• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fleas...or some sort of bug running over bilbo

bilbo

Alpha Buck
my bunster has some small bugs running over her..iv seen 2 so far one was crawling on her ear the other on her body :shock: :shock: :shock:
do i just bath in a insectisidal shampoo (sp?) or have you lot got any other ideas?
any info greatly appreciated :D

I am just having my buns treated for lice at the moment ... they are the tiniest of specs .. and look like specs of dirt they are brown in colour .. but if you stare at them you can see them move ... My buns have had to have a course of three injections given 10 -14 days apart.

What did these little bugs look like? Were they black, fast moving and fairly easy to see with the naked eye? If you have a rummage through the coat, are there little tiny black specks a bit like tiny black dandruff, and/or any tiny white balls? If you try putting your bunny on a piece of paper and ruffling the fur, some might fall off. If the answer to these questions is "yes" then it sounds very much like fleas. The black specks are flea poo, if you put a bit of water on them they sort of blot out and go a dark red/brown colour and the white bits are eggs.

Whatever you do, do not use Frontline on your rabbit. Some of the other flea products are ok but Frontline is not safe for rabbits and could kill!

If it's fleas, I'd pop up your vets and ask them to give you an appropriate flea spray. If you think it might be something else, I'd pop bunny up the vets to be looked at, the usual treatment for other little parasites is a course of Ivermec injections.

You shouldn't really try and bathe your bunny, apart from the fact that they don't like it, their fur is very dense and they will get very cold and this too can be fatal. If you really must bathe, then bunny should stay indoors overnight; you can assist with drying by using a hairdryer on the low setting, make sure it doesn't get too hot (or too cold for that matter). Much better to get something injectable (or the flea spray) to kill whatever it is.

Also remember you will need to remove all the bedding and thoroughly clean out the hutch when the bunny is treated, otherwise there will probably be some of the pesky little things in the bedding and they will just jump back on board!

Best to get the vet to check if you dont know what ever they are they can be treated. Just shamppo will not do the trick. val

thanks!iv booked her into the vets as i now dont think its fleas... :shock: will let you know how i get on :)

Back