• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sorry-colour of wee?

Jayne

Mama Doe
Sorry if this sounds odd but what is the normal colour of of rabbit wee? I've never really noticed before as they always go in their litter tray and its soaked up but this time one them has missed the tray and its gone over the edge and is a sort of cream colour,is this normal? Many thanks

good topic! i have a bun who wees red but it fades to dark dark orange as it drys!last week i saw it red and nearly had a heart attack that something was wrong so went to the vets that night and the vet felt it was due to eating carrots!!!so why does 1 of my buns wee red and other buns that eat carrots not wee red??????!

Oooow!! The colour of bunny wee can vary from pale yellow through various shades of orange and brown to an almost dark red :shock: . Bunny wee is often quite thick due to calcium deposits. The appearance of their wee depends very much on the diet/age/health/hydration of the bun. For example young rabbits usually have clear wee :D as do Does who are feeding their kits. Rabbits who have a very high calcium diet or are dehydrated often produce a thick sludgey wee :shock: which is creamy grey in colour. This could indicate that the bun has a bladder problem which may lead to cystitis or bladder stones forming. So a bun consistantly passing thick sludgey wee would benifit from a check up at the vets. I have a little Netherland Dwarff,Chloe, with a chronic bladder problem. I have to manually express her bladder :oops: otherwise she gets a horrible build up of 'sludge' which could lead to stones developing :shock: :shock: I also have to be very careful about the calcium content in her diet. Thankfully Chloe does not mind being 'emptied' bless her :D :D JCO xx

Thanks for the info.How do I know if they are having too much calcium? sorry if that sounds a bit of a dim question :oops: The wee was a sort of pale cream colour,do you think this is normal.They are eating,drinking and playing normally and everything about them looks healthy so I don't think there is anything wrong.

Alfie's is a reddish/dark brown colour but i think that some of the colour of the hay that he wee's on??

But when he weed on the flipping bed the other day :evil: it was clear'ish!!!

...you only need to worry about sludgey wee if it is happening frequently or if the bun is obviously unwell or having difficulty weeing. Some veg such as Broccolli and Kale are high in calcium so perhaps should be fed sparingly. Alfalfa hay and treats are also high in calcium.So are carrot tops, clover grass and dandelion leaves. As long as your bun is having a hay based balanced diet things should be fine.Its a bit yucky but if you do notice frequent bouts of sludgey wee run your finger through it. :shock: If it feels 'gritty' then avoiding high calcium foods and ensuring the bun is drinking well is a good idea :D If worried then a vet will be able to check the buns bladder and test the wee for infection. Sounds like your buns are fine though :D :D JCO xx

the vet i went to ith lorna said she seen all colours of the rainbow wabbit wee! so i wouldn' worry :wink:

Back