• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

weather warning!!!

:?

i am scared about leaving my bunny (Alfie) and my 2 pigs (Pip and Pogo) outside in the winter!

they have a nicely built cage that is always topped up with straw and covered with a plastic ground sheet and Alfie is nice to snuggle against! but the weather man have predicted that the weather will be so bad this year that any animals should either be covered properly or bought inside. what do u guys do during the winter. how can i keep Alfie and pigs comfortable during the **** season?

the fact is that rabbits are animals that grow a warm coat for the winter they can easly handle temperatures to -5°Fahrenheit. (not sure what temp. this is in UK increments). So as long as you block windows or even better put them in an enclosed area (im keeping mine under my deck which the bottom is enclosed) buy a heating pad to heat up in the microwave and they can use it if they want(propably dont need it unless very cold). And a box inside the cage will help them stay warm. Just pack it with straw. Ive heard from some people that their rabbits actualy prefur the out doors as long as you keep them froom drafts.

hope this helps
sorry for rambling
erin

Well, if you could see the winter coats Kami and Tui have grown then youd be worried about the weather! :shock:
The only prob I have is Pip rakes everything out of their sleeping quarters so today I am lining it with a cardboard box and stuffing hay down the sides as an insulator (someone suggested this on another thread)
The hutch end of my setup I have covered with plastic tarpaulin folded so I can unwrap it and cover the whole lot if necessary. :D

Back