• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pregnancy

leesabuntine

Warren Scout
Right everyone

I wrote a topic regarding my female bunny squeeking and some replies were that "is she pregnant." :shock: :shock:
I have only hads her 2 weeks today so if she is it wasnt my other bun george as he has had the snip.
If Peppa( my bun) was pregnant what other signs would i look for....
no fur has been pulled out.
Would she get really fat?
She is a very small lionhead,would i notice if she was pregnant?
Would my vet be able to tell?

Any replies welcome.
Im not too bothered if she is already pregnant.....just want to make sure I know what im doing.
Thanks

Leesa.

they useley make there nest a few days before birth as for other sines may be a trip to the vets they may be able to tell you one way or the other

'ello. Where did you get Peppa from?? Can you obtain any 'history' about her. A vet should be able to feel foetuses in her uterus from about day 10-14 of a 31-32 day gestation. I would take her to the vets to be checked out as if you are about to have some additions to your family it might be helpful to have a bit of time to prepare!! JCO XX :D

sometimes they can get abit agressive towards the time when they are going to have there babies. They will get a bit fatter but sometimes you may not even notice. Also maybe a day or 2 before she has the babies you can feel them inside her

I first noticed my rabbit digging holes which she hasn't done before and eating and drinking alot. I guess you can't tell what her usual habits are if you've had her such a short time/

They don't always look pregnant and sometimes show no signs at all. I would prepare as if she was pregnant,then if shes not it doesn't really matter. It is very difficult for vets to feel for pregnancy,especially in rabbits. If she is new to you aswell it may just upset her taking her to the vets to get poked about. Sometimes they can make the nest the night they actually have them, especially if it is a first time mum. Just make sure she has plenty of bedding.

If your rabbit is a hutch rabbit then after about three weeks if they use there bed side as a toilet they will stop and start to keep it clean as this is the normal place for them to choose to have there kits. Its hard most times to tell if they are pregnant just by looking at them. Just wait sometimes a week before [ there all slightly different] they are due you will see her with hay in her mouth carrying it to her picked spot, then hair may be plucked a few hours before the birth. If they pluck after 2 weeks of there due date then theve missed and chances are not pregnant. If shes a house rabbit it may be harder but i still think you will see her carrying stuff to use as a nest.Have you any idea when the mating may have happend?, mine always give birth on a set day , say if i mated them on the 1st of oct they would give birth on the 1st of nov, there may be a variation of a couple of days no more. If you think she is theres nothing you rearly need to do, they dont need extra food till they give birth. The only thing i would say was not to pick her up till your sure shes not , or has them. val

Back