• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FOXES......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Well I have just been woken up by one heck of a din. Two Foxes fighting in my front garden and one out the back. All 32 INDOOR buns going nuts and absolutely terrified. I live in a residential cul-de-sac. Concrete jungle, not at all rural. This time last year a Fox came into my kitchen via an open window and killed Ronan my beautiful Castor Rex. Never in a million years did I think a Fox would actually come into the house. But nowadays Urban Fox are fearless (made worse by well meaning but ignorant people leaving dog food out for them). All the Fox Welfare Groups I consulted said that a Fox would NEVER enter a house.....Well, THEY DO and Ronan paid with his life. So please be vigilant about Foxes, even with your House Rabbits. I really dont want to frighten people but would hate what happened to Ronan to happen again. Binky Free Ronan Rabbit. We all miss you SO MUCH and I am crying my eyes out as I type this. JCO and Buns xx :cry: :cry:

I live in a rural area and people around where I live have goat farms, they keep the foxes at bay..well lets just say how they do this ummm, they have a gun license :wink: . It may seem cruel but it is cruel when the foxes kill the wild life and people's livestock or even pets. I have to say i have never ever heard of rural foxes and especally never heard of any coming into peoples houses. Were u in the house when this happened? What is the council doing about it coz that could of been a child! Surely the council needs to do something like have rangers driving around at night setting traps and stuff.

So sorry to hear about Ronan. That's a terrible thing to happen, as you do think they're safe when indoors. :cry:
When I lived in a built up area, I had a fox asleep on top of the rabbit run! In the morning :shock: . The bunnies weren't overly bothered about it though, Bobby seemed to be saying "come on then, if you think you're 'ard enough!". However, if the fox had been able to get into the run, it would have been a different story......
Now we've moved to a rural area, we've not seen a fox.

Isn't that strange when u think about it? U said u had a fox sleeping on top of the run but now in a RURAL area u haven't seen one! I thought it would be the opposite. Foxes are very strange animals. I talked to the person with the goat farm today and he said the best way to know if a fox is around is take notice of birds cause apparently they go mad when theres a fox and start screaching.

It is quite strange, but I have been told that foxes are very much town creatures (I don't know why!). I guess there is nothing for foxes around where we are now. We're in the middle of fields, no livestock around.

I live on the outskirts of a market town, completely surrounded by the countryside. I've been lucky so far, have never seen one near our house, but it is my worst nightmare :(

I hate foxes! :evil: Baby ones look quite cute though!

toffeepudding said:
I live in a rural area and people around where I live have goat farms, they keep the foxes at bay..well lets just say how they do this ummm, they have a gun license :wink: . It may seem cruel but it is cruel when the foxes kill the wild life and people's livestock or even pets. I have to say i have never ever heard of rural foxes and especally never heard of any coming into peoples houses. Were u in the house when this happened? What is the council doing about it coz that could of been a child! Surely the council needs to do something like have rangers driving around at night setting traps and stuff.

in this county foxes are a prtected species, so no the council wont do anything but will take us to court if we harm one!
in this country we had fox hunting (now been banned) and that drove the foxes out of the country and into our towns, mainly looking for food, and they have got very clever alongside people feeding them :cry: :cry: they even know when the bin men are out!,

but ot is not fair to critercise foxes as they have a right to life too and need to eat!

Eve x

Yeah if those people hadn't started hunting them then they wouldn't of come into the towns, so really it's us 2foots responsible for all this.

OMG!!!! JCO Poor Ronan :cry:

I wonder how many other houses that fox had been in and made a snack out of pets :evil:

toffeepudding said:
Yeah if those people hadn't started hunting them then they wouldn't of come into the towns, so really it's us 2foots responsible for all this.

possibly...... who knows we have allways had hunting in this country :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: part of the heritage i think!!!!! but yes humans are responsible for to much thats awlful in this world!

A fox took my bunny Daisy from out of our garden. Hadn't seen a fox around either before this happened or after :(

Foxes have got a reputation for killing say a load of chickens just for the sake of it. I did however research this after Daisy got taken and it would appear that the fox will kill all available food thinking that they will be able to return at a later date for it.

I can't hate foxes for what they did to Daisy, they also have to survive as well but it is still hearbreaking when it happens to you.

Kate

I don't think hunting is responsible for sending foxes into the towns. We had hunting long before we had big towns. More likely it's things like the destruction of hedgerows, forests and uncultivated fields (food sources & habitat). Plus the amount of rubbish we chuck about. Foxes go where their are easy pickings. If we didn't make such a mess in towns then their wouldn't be a problem.

Tam

True! Last night we parked in town and when we went to pick the car up later, there was a fox rummaging about in the car park. Guess which international fast food chain was also located by the car park meaning the enitre place was strewn with litter!

foxes

Hi JCO :) know how you feel about foxes :( Iv,e got 6 haunting my garden :( & they come in the house given half a chance :shock: my sister lives in the country (norwich) she stayed with me last week & was shocked to see how tame they are & also thought that they were in very good condition :) she said she has never seen one as close to her as they were :shock: I have had my bunnies run covered over with wire & netting to keep them out as they got one of my bunnies & tried to take leo (he,s o.K.) they are never left unattended b/c of this :( I have to keep constant watch when they are out otherwise they would be killed :(

They are in my garden every evening, you will see me running up the garden in my nightie with a broom in my hand and the fox just looks and says .......mad woman!

Seriously though, they have a right to life and we must just make sure our bunnies are safe. They certainly have a good early warning system as they seem to be able to smell them from 100 yards when the thunping starts a fox is always about.

One good thing they keep the rat's at bay, as I was told you are never far
from a rat in a built up are, but why do they have to bring them to my garden to bury to be consumed another night :shock: :shock:

Maureen

Foxes moved into towns because there homes are slowly dissapearing under new houses and moterways. Foxes have it easy in towns theres so many fast food outlets that provide dissguarded food for them.Were i am there are dozens they live at the back of me in the school grounds. Last year i was in the living room reading in the middle of the afternoon and a young fox looked round the door at me :roll: . Sometime before that id had them digging under a run with a rabbit in it in the garden, the poor rabbit was so scared it got itself into a bit of tubbing that was for the g/pigs and wouldnt come out. Now i carnt leave rabbits in there runs and go in the house. Ive known thet come into the garden for years and have taken the right action, most are in my sheds and the outdoor rabbits have bolts on there cages. I must say that the rabbits are not bothered as long as there in there hutches when they come in. I always recomend that if your not in the garden then dont leave your rabbits in there runs. Once a fox knows theres a rabbit living in a garden they will keep coming back. BEWARE. VAL

we had foxes nearby when i lived with my parents and had my first bunny fudge,
one evening we let him out and something wasnt quite right he kept standing up to look around. Next thing I looked up and there was a fox standing on top of the shed about 3m away (and it wasnt even dusk), it was the only time fudge was actually happy that i picked him up - he was so freaked out by the whole thing

A few years ago, Donna went into her lounge and found a fox tucked up asleep on her dog bed under the stairs.

Janice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back