• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mice in my shed??? What to do???

Ok went out to shut the green house/big shed where Lulu lives. There was a mouse in there. But it disappeared before I could send it out. Anybody have this problem with mice living with your buns? The greenhouse is open to Lulu's outside run all day then she is in for the night. I don't know what to do besides, set a trap in the corner that is blocked of from Lulu but the mouse could still get too. Hope to hear some advise soon. I would rather not have a bunch of mice living there, they just transfer too many diseases.
Thanks

We have some traps that don't kill or use poison. They are like small tunnels but they curve up and there is weight at the opening so that u can open this door thing so it sticks out at a right angle and the bottom peice is on the ground. When the mouse goes in it the mouse puts its weight in the back so the front goes up and the door isn't touching the ground so it shuts. It is so impossibly hard to explain but i just thought I would tell u so u knew that there is stuff like that out there u can get from hardware stores. i use them coz there is no risk of poison and no snapping action (wouldn't want to risk broken bunny paws) and the bunny can't get in it.

We have mice living around our bunnies. It doesn't appear to be causing the buns a problem. We live in a rural area, surrounded by fields, so there is no way we could not have mice. A while back there were rats :shock: trying to get into the run, and that WAS a problem!
I've tried the humane traps for mice before - they work fine. Just remember to keep checking it so the poor thing doesn;t starve to death!

we think we have mice to my grandad is making one of those traps mentioned that dont kill and we can carry them into fields behind

lisa

yes we have the friendly traps (tip trap there called) but another problem with it is u have to take them quite a distance or u will find they will start to come back
also we had a strange thing happen with ours it went missing we couldnt work out y so we thought it was a cat but still cant work out how a cat could of got in, anyway we brought another one and the next day that had gone too... then we thought to check under the hutches and they were 2 traps and chewed to pieces we think the other mice had took it under and released them but we r still not sure what happend
now we have no choise but to use poison which isnt the best of think as its not nice and take 10 days for them to die also if ur rabbits is running the floor then the mice will be still running round with poison on it, so i wouldnt reccomend it for u unless u have somewere else ur rabbit an live untill the problem has gone

HAHAHA Maybe the rabbits and the mice had become friends so the mice took their friend in the trap over to the rabbit pen and 1 of the rabbits agreed to open it for them.

They say that if your mice vanish then youve got a rat :lol: . It happened to me i had mice badly and then suddenly they vanished the reason was a rat :( As i live in a town and have bad neighbures i have to put poison down, but it does work. You must make sure that its out of the way of the rabbits, but thats usualy easy . If you look were the mice poo trails are you can work out the best place to put the poison. Since ive changed my food to a complete pellit the mice dont to seem to be too interrested in it. When i fed a mix they loved it. val

when we had mice i found one in a sack of pellets
our mice couldnt of been that fussy :lol:
after that problem with the traps the poison when straight down and no problems since touch wood i still have a tip trap in my shed so i know if i do get any more visitors :wink:
becky

Did you know by having a 'humane' trap you're actually being more cruel to the mouse?

Releasing the mouse outside its territory means sudden death, the mice of that area attack the 'intruder' and kill him :cry:

I only found that out the other day and I had humane traps :( so in reality although its not nice, poison is the best option :cry:

Yeah but with the humane tip traps YOU aren't the one that has to get rid of the dead mouse (if u use a spring trap) and u aren't in any risk of harming a young child or pet who might eat the poison.

Ok so I had this funny idea about the mouse problem this morning. What if I was to get a kitten/cat to be my bunnies friend as well as catch some mice. Do kitty's like to catch small bunnies? I was thinking it work well becuase the outdoor enclosure is completely enclosed so the cat would live with the bunny. This could be a totally insane idea so I thought I would get some advise. I thought a kitten might be good because they can grow up together and get used to eachother. But then the kitten might want to play to rough with lulu. But then an older kitty might want to eat lulu, I just don't know. We are having a HUGE mouse problem this year they are just everywhere. So I am going to have to continually trap or something. Thats why a cat might be good. Well anyhow I need to go.
Christine

Cts are ok with rabbits but not to be trusted with baby rabbits, poisen can be placed so not to be accesable to children. My cat and dog have never been tempted to eat it, if they rearly wanted to get to it they could have. Mice can get out of controle very quickly and when they spread out to other peoples house or garden you could find yourself in trouble because you having rabbits will be blamed. val

I kind of figured that, it was a good idea though. So for tonight I set the traps and we will see what happens. Darn mice anyhow. We didn't have this problem last year and we had the same setup for butterscotch. But then maybe he chased the mice away, he was a very large bunny. Well hopefully it gets better soon.

When i had my last bunny he used to live in the garage and he had a mouse friend!!! There only seemed to be one but he would run in the cage and sit there eating the bunnies food out of his bowl!! The rabbit never seemed bothered and he always had enough food and hay.

I think mice are too cute to kill unless you end up overun in which case you have no choice, but as for apreading diesaes I'm not sure what they can spread?? :oops:

Well I put in a nasty trap as the mice are now moving in, in herds. So went to check it this morning and one window had blown open during the night and a little bird came in and got caught in the trap, it was awful. So I quickly put it out of its misery. I feel soooo terrible. Ahhhh what is with me and dying animals lately. I refuse to put out poison since my kids come out and play out there and I know they would get into it, plus its in my greenhouse and I don't want any poisons getting in the soil where I plant things. So I found a covered trap that only mice are supposed to be able to get in and I hope it works. We just have too many to catch live and re-release, so I am running out of options. We may just get a cat, and make sure the bunny is in the outdoor enclosure when the kitty is catching mice in the greenhouse. I just don't know what else to do. :(

Just remember that kittys have a nice habbit of bringing mummy a prezzie in their mouth if they can catch one. Usually cats PREVENT mice from coming at all in the first place, so if it is for gettin rid of them just rembers they are hunters, not chasers.

Back