• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sudden stasis

nic99

Warren Scout
Within the last couple of hours Milo has stopped eating and has become very lethargic. he was absolutely fine this morning, running around like a mad thing and ate all his breakfast and he passed a few poos. He is hunched up grinding his teeth. i have listened to his belly and i can't hear any movement or gurgling. Is this a good thing? or could mean a complete blockage rather than trapped wind?
i have sent my boyfriend out for some infacol. is it worth trying with this or should i just take striaght to the vet? i have given his belly a couple of massages and he will lie flat whilst i am doing it. is this because it is painful or because it is relieving him slightly? he has had stasis three times before and I have always managed to get things moving again within a few hours.
can it be brought on by the stress of a new rabbit because i got him a partner a coupl of days ago. They have been getting on well though.

Thanks for any help,
Nicola xx

Hi Nicola,

Sorry to hear about Milo. As he has has stasis before then it probably is the same thing.

I would be inclined to take him to the vet or atleast book an appointment for the morning before they are all taken, just to keep your mind at rest more than anything.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things and hopefully he'll be better soon. Sorry i can't be more help but i don't have any expierence of stasis

Bonnie x

I would take him to the vet. The vet can confirm for sure whether it is stasis, and give the drugs to get the gut moving again. The quicker it's treated, the less serious it will become.

I'd say try to get Milo to the Vet today. Sounds like he needs pain relief and the vet can palpate his abdomen to see if she/he can feel any abnormalities. Better to be on the safe side. Hope Milo is soon bouncing around again. JCO and Buns xx

Milo is staying at the vets overnight. he has a very large amount gas in his belly. I am really upset. I know how bad these things can get.

Aww poor Milo. At least he is in the best place to get veterinary care. I have had some VERY BLOATED buns who had to be 'deflated' under GA via a naso-gastric tube. They made a full recovery. Milo will be given pain relief and will be well monitored so you have done the very best for him. PLEASE keep us posted. Big hugs to you. JCO and Buns xx

Squidgy was once in 'hospital' for a week after having shown signs of stasis and having a blockage in his little tummy. He came through it fine. He is prone to bouts of tummy trouble, due to his earlier life (before me) and his teeth trouble. He's had a few episodes since, usually sorted out with pineapple juice and probiotic, but for the past few months (touch wood) he's not had any problems, and I think we've just managed to get his diet absolutely right.
Hope Milo feels better tomorrow. he's in the very best place now, as they'll have all the medication he needs to get his tummy working again.

she has just phoned, he has been given all the appropriate injections and has a heat pad and a blanket to keep him warm. (his temperature didn't register on the thermometer!!!). He is in a very good place, they have a vet work the night shift so there is always care available. She said he has done a wee and has been hoppiong around his cage a little which is a very good sign. I am so worried about my little boy. he means the whole world to me. She is giving him another injection at about midnight and I have to phone at 7.45 tomorrow morning but she will phone me if he gets any worse in the night. So if the phone rings during the night I will probably faint with fear!!

Milo is back home now and is feeling much better. I am sooo relieved!! The gas has completely gone from his stomach now and he did a couple of poos at the vets. I am yet to see any here though but hopefully that will come with time. I have to radically change his diet and feed him hay only for a while and then only give him a very tiny amount of pellets when I reintroduce them. This was the 4th time he has had stasis (though never quite this bad) so something obviously needs to be done. Any tips for encouraging hay eating? i have a few ideas already but open to more suggestions. he has been eating a little bit of hay this morning which is really good and I have to feed him science recovery little and often.
it's times like this when you realise you have been taking their good health for granted. I was so scared he wasn't going to make it.

:D :D So glad Milo is home again!! Timothy Hay is v tastey for buns if you can locate a supplier. A few dandelion leaves will help his guts move things along. P-H-E-W, you gave us a bit of a fright their Milo :shock: :shock: JCO xx :D

hi

oh that's scary - hope he's over it now - I agree re the dandelions and timmy hay - I got a new bunny a couple of weeks ago who didn't eat much hay or anything really - she's now eating just a small handful of science selective pellets in the morning, which she goes mad for - and munches on timmy hay and dried grass the rest of the time, with a small chunk of carrot and half a leaf of greens a day - Only a handful of dried grass as it's richer than hay, but it gets them eating more regularly - I get the west wales willows hay and they all go mad for it - Burgess forage is dried grass similar to mine from Friendly estates :)

yeh, the vet has said to make sure hay comprises 80% of his diet and to starve him until he eats it. Though she did say he won't eat that much of it in the next couple of days cos he will get everything he needs from the recovery food she has given me. I am going to go and buy lots of different types of hay and tempt him with all of them.

Back