• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I've got a poorly bun (fingers crossed)

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
I had to take Misty to the vets again yesterday he has been going for the last 3 weeks as he has had an eye infection (nothing new there always has them) his baytril and drops aren't working, he as also been on Ivomec injections as when his eye starts he gets mites (thank god they don't go on any of the other buns) he has now had his 4th Ivomec and it hasn't worked (normally after 2 they have cleared). He is eating ok but losing weight, we have had to put him on penicillin injections to see if this is going to work. Things don't really look that good as we think he maybe going into heart failure. I will give him is 2nd injection on Sat then will take him back Mon to see how he is going or before if I am worried.

All the bunnies paws are crossed for you here, Rober the rabbit is thumping and sending his vibes up to Misty.

Janice

Aww poor Misty. PLEASE GET WELL. Just a thought and probablly very stupid question but has your vet checked Misty's teeth (particularly Molars)? :roll: Just that all the wee bunsters symptoms...recurrent eye probs/mites/weight loss are all classical for a bun with molar spurs/broken toothe/toothe root abcsess..?? Sorry if I'm stating the obvious. 32 Buns-worth of healing vibes from my bunsters. JCO XX :)

His teeth are fine and even having his tear ducts flushed doesn't help. He is really slowing down. For the last couple of weeks I have noticed a difference in his behaviour, he is normally a very laid back bunny even going to the vets doesn't bother him, but he seems to be getting stressed at all most anything. I am very fortunate that my vet knows every single on of my buns and she could tell straight away by looking at him that he was def worse than normal and also loosing weight.

I had to take Misty back to Vets this afternoon as his breathing had become eratic. I have to inject him with his penicillin as arranged for tomorrow but, keep an eye on his eye and nasel discharge in case it becomes more or he stops eating as she isn't to worried at the moment that it hasn't turned into pneumonia. He seems to be a little brighter tonight (thank god).

Well Misty seems to be getting better he is still on his injections of penicillin. I took him for his check up yesterday and while we were in the Vets he wee'd and there was blood in it, so we have had to increase the injection to every other day and I had to keep a check on his urine all day yesterday and if there was anymore this morning then I had to take him straight back, I was dreeding going feeding him this morning, but up to know there is no signs of blood, I will just keep checking and if there is I will take him straight away. The next thing will be an Xray but to be honest I don't think he would survive having anaesethic, but I was talking to phill last night and have decided that if an xray is needed then I will take the risk. I have made my mind up that if and when he as to have an Xray and they start to lose him under the anaesethic then not to revive him, do you think I am making the right decision as he as been ill now for nearly 8weeks.

Awww kay Xx Only you can decide but you know what i would do! and probs what Caroline would do to XXX

Misty is really lively and definately on the mend he threw his and Gypsy's
dishes at me this morming because he wanted his breakfast.

Back