• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Castration injection?

Gemma

New Kit
When we had pet rats you could get a castration injection so you could tell if the behaviour would be affected by castration I think it was called tardak. Can you use this on rabbits or is there something available to do the same so I could use that before he is old enough to be castrated. As i think my 2 boys are actually a boy and a girl! :oops:
Thank you
Gemma

Tardak is only licenced for the use with cats and dogs, although it has been used unlicenced with rats to see if it affects their behaviour. You would need to discuss the use of it with a vet about using it with your rabbit, particualry as the licence for use is not for use with rabbits. If you have any suspicions that you have got a male / female pair of rabbits it would be useful to get them checked out before they are about 14 weeks of age so that you can book the male in to be neutered before you have a pregnant doe.

Janice

Tardak only effects the hormones so he'd still be fertile. With rats it's usually used to see whether removing hormones effects their aggression - to see if putting them through an op will help.

As bunnies mount each other to say whose boss even when neutered I don't think it would be an effective contraceptive :)

Yes just been on the internet and found it does not affect fertility.

If I seperate them will I have any problems putting them back together? They are very close now and I do not want to spoil it.

I think that the first thing you need to do is to get them sexed properly so you are confident what they are. You don't say how old they are which is important if they are a girl / boy pair. If you do have a girl / boy then you will need to separate them for a short while, while you allow for the boys testicles to drop and for the weeks following neutering. If they are boy / girl you can make life a little easier for yourself by putting them in an area where they are next to each other whilst they are apart and then introduce them on neutral territory.

Janice

I was told they were 12 weeks old and I have had them 2 weeks so they will be 14 weeks approx. The boy has always had little testicles the girl/boy started out looking round but has now changed to look more triangle if that makes sense. I looked at the pictures on this site.

If you have a boy and a girl who are 14 weeks old you really need to be very careful to get the boy neutered ASAP.

ARC normally get the boys neutered at 12 weeks using their vets, at this age he will have the equipment but will be firing blanks so he will not need to be separated from his sister as he will never actually be fertile. Accidents do frequently happen if you do not neuter at this age and you leave them for a while later without separating them.

Janice

Will it be ok to nueter him this early I thought it was around 5 months old was advised. If it is ok I will get him castrated straight away otherwise I can seperate them till he is older.
thanks Gemma

I would discuss it with your local vet and see what their thoughts are, if you are not 100 % certain of your local vet do post kyour location on here and someone may be able to recomend you a vet, otherwise contact a local rescue and find out which vets they use. There are many people on here who are in the rescue field.

Because ARC have a lot of rabbits which go through our hands each year (almost 200 so far this year) and they all are neutered unless they are too young to be done, our vet gets lots of experience neutering them in comparison to most normal vets. For this reason our vets are happy to neuter males as soon as their testicles are fully descended. If you are anywhere near us, do ask ....

Janice

I think I have one. My mam runs a rescue and uses them for their rabbits so they are used to them, but they have also just started using a new vet which they are very happy with but they are 30 minutes further away making the journey 45 mins in total. I thought I would have longer to think about it asuming they were both boys and waiting till they were 5 months life is never simple.
The plus side is where I got them from the man wanted to breed them and was dissapointed they were all boys so at least she is safe from having litter after litter he will be dissapointed :lol: .

Asuming she is a girl should I wait till she is older to get her spayed, After I get the boy castrated? What is a good age?

My vets very good to and will castrate ours directly there testicals appear, perhaps have a ring round and try to get a better vet. As for the chemical castration i have heard of this in america, when i asked my vet about it, she said it was not a very humane way to do castrations. So,thing about injecting a chemical into the testicals over a period but it supposed to be painfull to the rabbit? anyone heard of this?. Think if i remmember right it ends up dissolving the testicals? from inside. val

Ouch :shock: Tardak is something different to that. It just stops them realeasing the hormones temporarily - a testosterone supresent I guess. Once they stop having injections their hormones come back - it's not a perminant thing. I think it's just given in the back of the neck.

Tam

The vet ARC use normally does the castrations as soon as the testicles have descended, our vets tend to operate on the girls at 5 months before too much fat is deposited, other vets will wait until they are 6 months old.

Janice

Back