• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Rabbits!

melaniejb

Mama Doe
Hooray! We were called today by the rescue centre where we are getting our 2 new house rabbits from! Thay are ready to be collected and we are going on friday! i am so excited...can't believe we are finally getting bunnies! :D

So far i have covered all the wires in gaffer tape, cable tidies and hose pipe (felt like I was preparing for war when I was doing it!). we've bought a lovely hutch and filled it with hay and shredded paper! we've bought a litter tray and litter! I've cut holes in boxes, collected loo rolls, got old clothes and rugs for toys. I've even planted grass trays so thay can have some fresh grass!! We've bought a massive bag of food (the same brand as they are on at the rescue centre)...

Is there anything that I havent thought of? Any tips which may help them settle in?

I've been doing LOADS of research (wish I'd done this much for my degree) and so far I've read that when they first arrive home they should be left alone to adapt and settle in their new hutch then gradually after 24-48 hours we should start sitting by the hutch and if they initiate contact with us we should take it one step at a time ie no picking them up and no cuddles :)cry: ) until its on their terms...am I on the rght lines?

Sorry if I've waffled on, just want everything to be perfect for them after such a bad start in life!

Melanie

Aww how exciting. I don't think I managed to leave mine alone for the first 24 hrs :lol: They will not mind a stroke when they get home. I would ask the rescue how good they are at being picked up. Some rabbits tend to settle in straight away but others take a few days to come round.

Thanks for your reply! My boyfriend's being very strict with me about the 'no interfering' thing but I'm not sure that he'll be able to stop himself when we actually get them! Got lots to do this weekend though so that will give them time to settle in!

Can you think of anything else that I haven't thought of...realised last night that we don't have any bowls (for food/water)! Also, what's best a watr bottle or a bowl??!

Melanie

all sounds so exciting!
I remember how excited Rich and I were - we completed on the purchase of our first home together on the Friday at 9am, collected the hutch I'd ordered at 10am, and by 4pm Phoebo was settled in - we'd promised to get him a week after moving in to give us time to settle! we just couldn't wait!!!

we handled phoebo from the start as well - we left him to settle but made sure we gave him lots of attention too! he was used to being handled at the pet shop anyway - the owners loved him!

enjoy - you'll love your first few days getting to know them!!!

X

melaniejb said:
Can you think of anything else that I haven't thought of...realised last night that we don't have any bowls (for food/water)! Also, what's best a watr bottle or a bowl??!

Personally I used to use a bottle but now use bowls for everything. Ceramic ones are best as they can't flip them over! Mine have four bowls: for hay/grass, water, pellets, and veg/treats. I think it's cute watching them drink from a bowl. Miles used to make little slurping noises when he drank because he was getting used to it!!

Everything else sounds like you've thought long and hard about it, and you seem to be doing all the right things! Yay I'm excited for you too!

AMETHYST

How exciting! Sounds like you're all prepared! My outside bunnies have a chioce of water bowl and bottle, they only ever use the bowls. Squidgy also has both and he uses both.
Looking forward to seeing piccies!

hi

Aww - excitement!! :D

You will find litter training more easy if you keep them in a smaller space at first until they know where they are supposed to 'go'

I gave mine a bowl and a bottle when I first got them and they preferred the bowl - depends how much space you have.

In my experience all rabbits hate being picked up - even the 'cuddly' one I adopted a couple of weeks ago - now she's found her confidence and settled in, she won't even let me stroke her...But I'm glad to see her happy and healthy, even if I don't get cuddles - I can grab Benny and he submits, but to me that's no fun - I guess if I want voluntary cuddles I will have to get a dog :roll:

Best bet is to sit on the floor with them and give them a pellet for a treat when they come to you - Mine only get a handful of science selective a day, so any extra is a treat they'd jump through hoops for :D

Keep us posted!

I prefer bottles as they put their feet in bowls and fill them with bedding. I can see how much they drink in a bottle too.

Thanks for all your replies! It is sooooo exciting although now i know they are coming home to us, I have a feeling of calm! :)

They are such beautiful bunnies...I will post photos asap! They are on the RR website already so if you wanted a sneaky peak, you can look for Albert in Hertfordshire and Poppy is one of Honey's babies (also in Hertfordhire!).

Anyway, thanks again for your replies, I bought a water bottle and a bowl so they can make up their own minds!!

Melane

Back