• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Cruelty

Bunster

Young Bun
I have just been going through this forum and read the sad stories about mistreated buns. I can't open the pictures - I'd rather not see anything that might send me over the edge! :x :cry: It just makes me so sad and angry that humans can treat animals this way. Why? Poor, poor, defenseless little rabbits. Who could not love them? I hate hearing about rabbits who are neglected, squashed in cages, never let out and ignored. I just have to accept that some people just do not have a conscience and have no respect for life. Why are some people like this? What is wrong with them?! I treat my rabbit like a baby - he's part of the family. He's welfare and wellbeing is extremely important to me. Isn't it more natural to love animals?

Stephanie :x

On this forum we all love our bunsters like babies but sadly there are people out there who feel empowered by inflicting cruelty to animals. Until you join a forum like this you are fairly ignorant to abuse affecting rabbits as the news mainly reports on cruelty to dogs and cats. What we can be thankful for though is that every rabbit owned by people on here gets a fantastic life and are loved and cherished and there are fabulous people like Jay and John, Alice, Lizzie, Cheryl, Elaine, ARC , Adele, Kay, Lany, Jill, lynda and Jim and the list goes on, sorry if i haven't mentioned you my head only holds a few bits of information at a time :shock: , who dedicate their lives to rescuing rabbits from bad homes and loving them regaining their trust and giving them a second chance in a good home.

I've been pleasantly surprised recently too. I go to people's house to tutor them and have seen some very well cared for bunnies with nice big runs in the garden, which is very heartening.
I know how you feel though, I often won't look at the cruelty, because I don't know what I can do about it.

I think people are generally getting better educated on bunny well fare, so while there are still people who are cruel by nature there's a lot less people whose bunnies are suffering from mild neglect. When i first had rabbits at age 7 or so Every one I knew had them in small hutches with a guinea pig and sometimes a small run. I was the only one I knew who had them in a purpose built shed and run that was big enough for me to go sit in, thus I used to get called Dr. Deelittle due to my 'over the top' animal care. I didn't loose this nickname until I was 1bout 15 and started sticking up for myself. :lol:

However now the majority of rabbit owners seem to take pride in providing their rabbit with the best homes and care possible. They spend more time with them and realise what great animals they are if not just left at the bottom of the garden and fed once a day.

rabbit cruelty

Hi stephanie :) there are always people that will not bother to find out what a bunny needs before getting one as a pet :( I know of one woman (who swears she loves her rabbits) that crams them into a tiny bedsit (she has about 20) the RSPCA have visited her & told her not to take in any more & to reduce her numbers BUT she is still taking on more :evil: she knows that they are overcrowded & she has no access to a garden so they are imprisioned in this squalor :shock: :shock: how can you get across to thick :( stupid :( people like this that a bunny deserves better :(

I am reading a book called 'Stories Rabbits Tell' by Susan E. Davis and Margo Demello. I have got the chapter dealing with the slaughter of 'meat rabbits' and animals testing - I just cried on the train home reading it.

My boyfriend says that as long as I am doing my 'bit' then that's all that I can do. I have never come across any rabbit cruelty close to home, but if I did, I am not sure what I would do.... :evil: I won't even tolerate my boyfriend shouting at Douglas when he's acting a bit pesky (Douglas not boyf!)

Stephanie : )

rabbit cruelty

Hi stephanie :) HHHMMM glad you cleared that one up & its not your o/h thats being pesky :lol: & as mark as said you will find only bunny loving folk on here :) hope you enjoy the forum & make lots of friends :)

People are getting the message slowly but surly and we just need to keep up spreading the word, there will always be people on this earth that have no idea or care that animals have feelings and are not toys. We can only do our best to inform people of the right way to care for there animals. val

unfortunatly rabbits have been and still are to many people easy low maintenance pets. all of us on hereknow that to care for a rabbit properly is definatly not an easy 5 min job, but many people , through ignorance still stick that cute fluffy bun in a tiny hutch , throw food in once a day(if its lucky) and clean it out when the smell gets so bad that they think the neighbors will complain. The work at rescues like ours is not just about taking in rabbits when people get fed up of them, its also about educating people and giving advice.
everyone who cares about rabbits can help in this way . i always say that if i hand out 20 leaflets and 10 people read them then it was worth the effort of handing them out .infact if one person out of that 20 learns something then it was worth it.
Angie

Back