• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Herbie the hamster has gone to the bridge

Rushie

Banned
My daughter got Herbie as a birthday present, 2 years and 10 months ago.

He was a lovely, beautiful natured Syrian hamster. My daughter had him out of the cage every evening without fail. He wanted for nothing.

The last few months he had slowed down a great deal and didn't wake up much at all. On Sunday he hadn't eaten his food from the night before so I put it next to him in his bed. He was eating but didn't leave his bed.

Last night his breathing was very shallow and he felt cold. I wrapped him up in some extra hammy bedding and kissed him goodbye. I knew the end was soon.

This morning he has gone. He just looks asleep, all peaceful and cute.

Bye bye little Herbie, the best hammy anyone could ever have. You will have met up with Daisy bunny now at the bridge. Have fun both of you.

Love Mommy Kate xxxx

Aaw, RIP little Herbie Hamster. My you must have been so well cared for as 2 years and 10 months is VERY VERY OLD for a Hamster. When you wake up you'll be over the bridge with lots of Hamster fun things to do. Just see how much food they'll be to stuff in your cheek pouches!! Hugs from all the buns here and me. JCO xx

Thanks everyone.

I didn't tell my daughter until tonight that Herbie had died. We were doing quite a few things today and didn't want her to be upset all day.

She is, of course, very upset and we have just had a funeral service :( .

I couldn't bear to bury him in the garden so we have buried him in a large plant pot and tomorrow my daughter has said we will go and buy a herb to plant in the pot, in memory of Herbie, awwww.

It's just so hard when we lose them isn't it?

Kate

aw poor herbie . It is sad as regardless of what kind of animal it is - they are still part of the family and the bond is there . I,m so sorry and I feel for your little girl . xx :(

Poor wee Herbie...so hard for you but how hard for your daughter as well.

myhtheart41.gif

Aww wee Herbie - hamsters are such lovely wee creatures and it is really sad that they only live for a relatively short time. when our hamster passed away my wee girl was devestated :(

However herbie was loved very much and he will carry that love with him to the Rainbow Bridge where I am sure they will have a giant hamster tunnel and wheel and he will be able to play with lots of hamster friends :D

I think herbie would be very chuffed to look down and see his special herb pot :D

Big cuddles toyou and your wee girl

lol Pam

Thanks Pam.

It is especially hard on my daughter. She is 13 and suffers from the mental health illness OCD. We have been waiting 12 months now for her to see a psychiatrist.

Last night she was crying about Herbie and, due to her illness, she keeps worrying that Herbie may have thought she didn't love him enough. She also had to keep performing rituals to keep him safe, all part of the illness.

I have this morning, printed off the lovely Rainbow Bridge poems for her and I'm hoping that she can gain some comfort from these.

Thanks once again for all your lovely messages.

Kate

Oh Kate, I feel so much for you and daughter. It is obviously doubly hard for her and what a shame that she is wondering that she didn't love him enough. Glad that you found the poems helpful as well.

Would you care to give me a link on OCD...please excuse my ignorance but I would like to read about it

Hello Marlene,

A good site with lots of information about OCD is www.ocduk.org.

It is an illness which manifests itself in lots of different ways, the most well known of which is compulsive hand washing.

My daughter has a form of OCD whereby she has to repeat rituals ie counting in even numbers, repeat phrases, pray and all this to reduce her anxieties.

I hope you find the link helpful and thank you for your interest.

Kate

I am so sorry to hear about poor Herbie.
He was much loved you can be sure of that.
I hope your daughter can find a way to cope with the loss.
OCD is heartbreaking at times.
I hope the Rainbow Bridge poems help her.
And I hope she can soon be seen by someone who can give her the professional help and support she needs.
I know you do your best but having a professional there to back you upo is what you need.
Perhaps your doctor could speed it up in view of the loss of her beloved pet?

Thanks Michele for your kind words.

Yes, we definately need some professional help, the illness is so hard to deal with.

Kate

Kate, thank you for sending me that link. I had no idea that someone as young as your daughter could have this and I am so sorry for you all as at her age it must be so difficult to understand. What is her name Kate and how is she feeling today?

So sorry to hear little Herbie has gone to the bridge :( I have read the article too and it was an eyeopener to me. Love to you and your daughter at this sad timexx

Hi Marlene,

My daughters name is Hannah and she is feeling a lot better today, thank you.

She decided that she would like another hammie so we went to the pet shop today and bought one! We have had a girl this time, white and grey and black. Totally different colouring to Herbie, he was cream and fawn. She kept saying she isn't trying to replace Herbie, or to forget him, she just wanted another little hammy to love. She has called her Cookie and she seems very good natured, hasn't nipped at all!

We got her a lovely new cage as well as we had thrown Herbie's away. It was a bit stained anyway so wouldnt have felt happy putting a new hammie in there.

Hubby isn't happy that I have bought another hammy though :roll: I have a habit of just going out and bringing home animals. I don't moan at how much he spends on golf though!

Glad that you found the OCD site good. Children younger than Hannah suffer with it as well. Hannah was 12 when she was diagnosed but I had suspected for well over a year that she had got it. I have suffered for the past 20 odd years with depression and anxiety so was aware of OCD anyway.

Thanks again for your interest, Marlene

Kate

Back