• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dirty vent?

kate

Warren Scout
I was grooming Jack this morning, usually he has a very clean bottom but today he seems to have a bit of waxy dirt around one of the pouchy bits on the side of his vent- I've never cleaned them before (although I think the vet might have done it once when he stayed there) and have just read you should clean them every 2 months :oops: :oops: .

What is the best way to clean them? Is it hard to do? - my bunny won't let himself be picked up, so I have to do it when he's lying on his side. Is it really necessary to clean them every 2 months, or do they take care of themselves?

Many thanks! :D

i do bleave you ues a cotton bud and some warm warter very smelly thow never cleaned mine wouldent get near enougth to but i sure some one who knows how will be along soon to help

Healthy buns usually takes care of it by themselves. The only time I cleaned Zeus' was after his neuter as I was so paranoid about that area after he got a small abcess from nibbling the stitches I kept examining him down below and that was the first time I found them! Poor mentally scarred boy probably wondered what my obsession was!

Thankfully the vet kindly answered my panicked phone call and probably had a good giggle at the uneccesary trauma I put myself though! The smell..... :shock:

If there is a large build up or Jack has been poorly lately he may not have been as thorough cleaning himself (usually seen in overweight buns) if there is a thick build up that could attract flies then you should clean it. A small deposit of crusty orange stuff seems to be the norm and unless your bunny is going to be shown you can leave it.

Caz

..cotton wool bud with some vaseline on works better than water as wax goes all sticky when wet and sticks to the skin even more. :oops: Clothes peg for your nose also useful.... :lol: JCO xx

Thanks for your help!
I'm just back in so haven't tried cleaning them yet, I'll try and prepare myself for the smell! I think he's cleaned himself a bit, it doesn't look too bad, I'll have a go at doing it after dinner! :D
I was thinking he's putting on a bit of weight, maybe he is having a little trouble reaching :oops:, I'll get him weighed when he has his jab, maybe its time for a diet...

Eek...brave lady doin' it AFTER your dinner :shock: Hope you manage to hang on to it...(your dinner!!) :lol: :lol: JCO xx

Back