• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mischa getting bald spot!

gil

Mama Doe
Hi all
more advice needed for Mischa and Lola. Mischa now has a bald spot on top of her head where Lola has pulled her fur out! it doesn't happen when i'm about think it must be happening when i'm at work. otherwise they seem quite happy together so wouldn't want to separate them.
any advice would be welcome as wouldn't want Mischa to loose any more fur!

Sounds like to much licking :lol: , check theres no dandruff if there was it could be mites.Some rabbits can over groom there partners. If it gets worse then you may have to try and think of something to put on hte head that dosent taste very nice :lol: . val

This happened to two of my former rabbits once, one of them over groomed the other one in the same spot and it went totally bald. The first vet I saw was a locum and he said "there's nothing for it, you'll have to separate them" (advice which I thought was wrong so I ignored it) and went back to see my usual vet.

She said that often there can be a reason why the other one is attracted to an area to overgroom, like a fungal infection for example, so gave me some cream to put on it which conveniently also didn't taste nice so the other one stopped fairly soon and the fur all grew back eventually.

Does it look like this? See the patch on his ear? That was from over grooming .. its all grown back now though :wink:

ber11.jpg

thanks for the tips! Mischa looks very similar to your rabbit! but not the bald patch! actually with Mischa it looks more like she's had a bad haircut as it's all uneven with this wee bald patch in the middle - i can see her skin!
i have seen Lola try to groom her but it's more like pulling at Mischa's fur but that's been on her body not her head! if i see it getting worse i will take her to the vet. they are both still young so perhaps they are still trying to sort out who's boss? Lola from the early stages looks as if she is going to be the dominant bun, yet she is a couple of weeks younger than Mischa!

Sounds like the other rabbit is biting the hair :roll: , rabbits do do that to themselves sometimes and its associated with bordom,but thats not likly to be the case here. val

Hi Val, no definitely not boredom, Lola seems to start out by licking Mischa but then goes on to pulling at her fur. aslo if Mischa is lying relaxing Lola seems to to annoy her by doing this too and i'm not sure why? lola also does the same with me in that she licks my hands for ages then she will start pulling at my clothes, particularly my fleece tops! this morning she peed on my top that i'd left lying on the sofa!

I am fostering two French Lop sisters and when I collected them in September, one had a bald spot with cuts throughout it. It was a dominance thing with these two and Daisy would pull the fur out (wasn't grooming). She would chase Maisie around and it looked so sore. We brought forward the spaying and they are fine now. The fur grew back. They are so happy together and love each other, I am glad we didn't split up.

thanks, yes i think it's a dominance thing too! Lola is definitely the boss betwen the two but as they are only 12-14 weeks old they won't be getting spayed for a while yet! lola is an english lop and i think Mischa is a french lop!

Back