• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thinking of bringing Phoebo in for Winter but am worried...

Joo & Phoebo

Young Bun
... whether he'll be destructive?
He comes in every now and again and seems to chew stuff! telephone cables, lights cables etc. (all since moved out of his reach), he's also been known to paw and scratch at the curtains and sofa.

So if you have your buns indoors, do they stay in their cage all day? If not, how do you stop them doing any of this stuff (if they do?). Do their have their own 'room' as such that they live in?

I'm so worried about him being outside during the Winter, so don't know what to do!!!
Thanks in advance...

Julie x

well, my bun lives outside but comes in as well, he is an indoor and outdoor bun.

If you are worried about your bun getting cold put more hay in her hutch, thick blanket over the hutch with taupauline, snugglesafe (heatpad) make sure hutch has no drafts in it.

I know my bun prefers to be outside, when he is in he'll have a sleep, chew my sofa to pieces and then scratch to get out!!

Im getting him a friend as soon as he is neatured which will keep him warm, maybe you could do the same??

My buns only young but he hasn't destroyed anything yet, aside from nibbling a few wires. He stays in my room and is allowed free roam of it while I'm indoors and gets put in his crate when I go out and at night. He is allowed into the hallway and my house mates room when he's in too. He did start trying to chew on my curtains but I slapped a book on my hand and did a little scream and he hasn't done it since. Maybe I just have a good bunny, or maybe he's just biding his time, lol.

We seem to have been really lucky with our buns, we have had hardly any damage at all. A few nibbled table legs and a couple of chewed clothes lect on the airer were the worst. :shock:

They do have a room all to themselves where they have stack loads of toys and a hutch to jump in and on to and a they like to sit on our sofa bed, which is very old and has only suffered on pee and a small chew

I think the key is loads of distractions, but if a bun is determined to destroy something you will have to be twice as determined to stop them, :lol:

Back