• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training- What is the correct way?

Aim

New Kit
Hi everyone.

We have a little 9week old dwarf lop that I'm trying to litter train. I've read a few different ways to do it, I'm just curious as to which way is better. One way is to move the dirty litter into the litter pan. The other way was to put the litter pan where she goes the most. Well, she goes the most right by her food bowl. LOL. So do I put the litter pan right near her food?? As you can tell, we aren't having any luck yet. I know she is young and have read that it takes a bit longer with the younger buns. Eventually, I'd like to be able to put a towel on the bottom of her cage and only put litter in her litter pan, is this a reasonable expectation??

Thank you in advance for any tips or advice. :) It is greatly appreciated.

With my two boys it was so easy - i just put the pan in the area they went most. Worked brilliantly. But with my new little girl its proving to be difficult. She goes anywhere and everywhere

Ive got the same problem. Derek was so easy he just did it,but Ruby just fires them out like a machine gun! I do brush them up straight the way and put them in her tray also i have trays everywhere. Shes now 60/40 i just have to keep reminding her. :roll:

hi

poops everywhere till they are neutered, but wees can all go in the tray if that's the only place they have access to hay - you could even buy an underbed storage box and put the food dish in there too, so long as the sides aren't too high for her.

My unspayed house bunny does pee on one spot of the carpet when she comes out for a run - in the middle of the floor not a corner - it's just a territory thing which spaying should resolve :)

Girls are def more trying than the boys. Fern still has days where she absolutely refuses to use her litter tray and if it gets a bit dirty they both turn their noses up at it. :lol: :lol:

We used all of these tactics to get them to use it but the one that worked the best is putting lovely fresh hay in their litter trays as they love nothing better than to munch whilst pooping :lol:

I'm having no luck with Ambers litter training. She just digs in it and then wee's next to it :roll:

In her cage, Fidget rarely goes anywhere but her little tray, which is great esp. since she's young. When I first introduced the little tray to the cage, she felt the need to pee in the tray AND the opposite corner of the cage, just to **** me off, and in a "What is that thing you have invaded my space with" sort of way :lol: ! Getting her to pee in a little tray out of her cage is more trying. There is no particular corner of me room she pees in, she will only go on my bed!! The number of times I change my sheets from her peeing on the bed. I reaaaaly hope a million more little trays, a spaying and her being a bit older will solve that!

I must admit litter training is one area we have had success in with all our bunnies, and that includes the girls who aren't spayed.

I just make sure the litter tray has something in it which makes it different from the rest of their area. For example our 4 live in a shed which I have laid lino flooring over. The litter tray is the only area which has woodshavings (or wood litter which I'm switching too) in. To start with if they wee anywhere else but the tray I take a piece of paper towel, mop up the pee and then put this in the tray. Mine will now follow the tray if I move it to a different part of the shed.

We only got our latest edition Tilly last Tuesday and she liked to pee in her hay box. Following what I did above (I also put the soiled hay in the litter box) she is now totally using it all the time. Poos on the other hand I've found they'll do most in the box, but like to mark their territory. Still to be frank I haven't got a problem with this. :D

hi

One of my unspayed girls liked to trash the litter boxes by digging out the contents - then she suddenly stopped doing it after a few weeks, and I came to the conclusion that she'd been having a phantom pregnancy as it makes them want to dig - could you give her a digging box with shedded paper or something in?

Back