• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit weight

touie

Wise Old Thumper
Does anybody know roughly how much a satin rabbit should weigh? I was trying to look on the BRC site but it's not connecting for some reason.

I was told that Fudge was grossly obese today at 3.75kg and i know he's a little chunky but i didn't think he was that much over weight, he was 3.95kg last year !!! :shock: Just trying to suss out this new vets bunny knowledge! :wink:

i will get in tough with a breader of them for you see whats what dosent seam too over weight to me the other thing you can do is fell his rib cage and if its imposable to fell then hes too fat

Thanks, that would be helpfull! He has been on a diet I was aiming for 3.50 kg but I think hes been eating Treacles food too recently!!! He is quite big boned though! :lol: I've found weights from 7-11 pounds on the net which is quite a wide range!! :?

right between 2.72 kilos and for males 3.62 killos 6lb plus hope this helps i would say inbetween the 2 depending on bone strure

thanks! :wink: so he's not that much over weight then if he's 3.75 and the the upper weight was 3.62. He's a big build, he doesn't fit in my arms lengthways!!!

I don't go on supposed weights for buns, I go on how fat they look and whether they can still reach their bottom, also still be able to run around and jump on things helps

I don't think he's grossly overweight, a little bit tubby may be!!! But his favourite spot in the garden is on top of the picnic table so he jumps up and down there ok, and he can def run cause i'm worn out trying to catch them, and his bums nice and clean! :D

I was just rather suprised that this vet said he was grossly obese!!! :shock: here's a pic of him, what do you think?

oct05026.jpg

well satin are suposed to be quite meaty and rounded as they were originaly bred to eat they are a fur breed, like silver fox's, british giants, beverens, chinchillas etc all these were origionaly bred for fur and meat during the war

becky

Thanks for the help Fudge feels much happier knowing that he's supposed to be rounded and is not grossly obese!!! :lol:

Back