• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treacle not well

touie

Wise Old Thumper
I took Treacle to the vets today, it was a different vet to normal. Treacle had lost over 1 kg since he was last weighed and has become very withdrawn. She had a look at his teeth and said their were a couple of suspicious ones but couldn't see right to the back. She told me to monitor his eating and bring him back if he had trouble eating and they'd book him in for surgery this week.

Now am I right in thinking that in a greedy rabbit thats lost over 1kg that it was a bit of a strange thing to say? :?

So now I'm not sure whether to keep treacle in the kitchen tonight to monitor him, but would it then cause problems if I try to put him back with fudge? or would it be best to keep him with fudge in the shed and watch his eating there? only I know that he won't eat if I'm watching!! Or should I phone the vets tomorrow and try and get an appointment with the usual vet for her opinion?

I would NOT take Treacle away from Fudge that in its self could coz him stress ... I would keep him in his usually place and do your best to see what he is eating ... if you are not at all happy I would make another appointment with your usual vet ... A second opinion may put your mind at rest.

Do you think he is still eating?

I've seen him nibble at some carrot tops and a few pellets but he's not really eating. Usually he's a pig and the first one to the food!!!

I'll try phoning up tomorrow and see if I can have a chat with the usual vet!

What about if treacle does go in for surgery he will have to be separated from fudge for a bit then how will that effect their bond? I'm worried as fudge is very bossy and protective over treacle!!!

If Treacle does have to have surgery take Fudge along too, they'll provide comfort for each other.

Come on little Treacle!!!!

Depending on what he has to have done ... there is no reason why Fudge can't go with him into the vets for company .... They say that buns who have their bonded partners with them feel more relaxed which aids recovery

Ok I'll push for that, I get the feeling the vet i spoke to today wasn't very rabbit savvy!!! She didn't seem all that worried about him and told me he wasn't emanciated, but i think for a rabbit to loose 1 kg nearly a third of his body weight thats quite serious, and she wouldn't have weighed him if i hadn't have insisted!!! :shock:

hope treacle is ganing weight soon poor bunster talk to you reglar vet just got pheebee and shes very thin to the poing of fluf and bones

I've not noticed him slobbering at all though he didn't finish the apple. He nibled the middle and left the skin! :? Just put some pellets down too as he should be hungry, he hasn't had breakfast. He's ignoring them at the moment! :(

Bless him he knows the best bits to eat .... I would see how he gets on with harder food like pellets .. so you can report back to your own vet

Hes eaten 3 pellets and flopped down again! :?

here he is!

oct05027.jpg

'ello.From what you've described sounds like Treacle may have molar spurs. It is impossible to thoroughly examin all areas of a buns mouth when the bun is conscious cos their mouths have lots of pouches which have to be held back with an oral retractor. Molar spurs can eventually dig into the buns cheeks/tongue. If you gently press on Treacles cheeks does he show any sign of discomfort...?? If, however, the spurs are scratching his tongue he probably wont react to pressure on his cheeks. Until he has his dental examination could you ask your vet for some pain relief for him? An anti-inflammatory like Meloxicam (Metacam) or Carprofen(Rimadyl). Perhaps you could offer him his dried food softened with some water. Some buns will accept this. You could also try grated carrot...smells nice and is easier to eat for a bun with a sore mouth. I'd also keep a close eye on his gut motility(quantity/size of poos!!). It may be significantly reduced due to his inability to eat much. Your vet will need to be made aware of ANY signs of poor gut motility as a general anaesthetic will slow things down even more. Your vet may want to administer a gut motility drug. Buns with a sore mouth find drinking from a sipper bottle uncomfortable. If Treacle usually drinks from a bottle perhaps you could give water in a bowl for now. Hope the little bun gets on OK and soon regains his lost Kg!! JCO xx

thanks for all the advice, I'll phone the vets in the morning. I will try wetting his pellets as he hasn't really touched them. The apple has dissappeared so I'll try the grated carrot and will chop his veg finely. He drinks from a bowl so thats not a problem. I don't know whether to keep him and fudge in overnight as treacle has hardly moved today or put them both in the shed. If i keep them in the other 2 will have to stay in their cage!!! :?

..I'd keep them in. If you cant contact the vet til the morning you could give Treacle Aspirin in a 'First Aid' situation. The dose is 100mg/Kg of bun. You can get the dispersable Aspirin and chemists should also sell baby medicine syringes. Sounds as if Treacle is not a happy bunny as he's not moved much all day so some pain relief tonight might be a good idea. If he seems to feel unusually cold to the touch then try to get him to snuggle next to a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. Poor little Treacle. Hopefully you'll get to speak to the vet you normally see tomorrow. JCO xx

Come on little Treacle, he's gorgeous!!

The the black and white bun in the cage is cute too!

Back