• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Here's my baby!

Vicki

Alpha Buck
As some of you may remember i now have my french lop and ive had him for 8 days now and he's such a character and very nosey! He has a upstairs and downstairs to his 'house' but is still too afraid to go downstairs! There is a pick which shows him trying but unfortunatly thats the furthest he's gone! Bless him!
I have also posted a picture of his hutch-which is quite big!

Measurements: 8ft long, 3ft deep bottom storey is 2ft high and top storey is 3ft high!

Let me no what you think of his hutch or as we call it-his batchelor pad!

http://photobucket.com/albums/c372/vicki101/?

(I hope this link works!)

The link didn't work :?

When you click, it brings you to a page of photobucket that asks for your password....can't wait to see the pics!

Hi i have changed the page so hopefully it should work now! Could you please let me no if it still doesnt!
Thanks

Hi thanks!
My brothers friend who is a carpenter made it for me! I drew it up how i wanted it to look etc n he made it free of charge! (although i did buy him a case of budweiser)!lol All i paid for was the wood which came to £220! Not to bad i thought considering its size compared to some 6ft hutches prices!
I think i forgot to tell you my little mans name! Harvey! Bless him, he's got a appointment at the vets tonight as when i went to him this morning he had white stuff coming out of one side of his nose and sneezed a few times aswell, i thought it could be snuffles? How would he have caught this, any ideas!?
Thanks for all your help!

Hi Vicki,

Sounds like that could be snuffles, my bun has the same thing & gets white stuff!!

Alfie had his from when i first got him, harvey may have got this from the buns he was with before?!

He could of got it from the buns he was with before, I got him last sunday (the 16th) so would it have taken this long to come out on him? On the tuesday after i got him he had his vhd jab could this be a reaction to that? But even so i would of thought it might have come out sooner on him!? Im just trying to work out how he has caught this? Is it possible for him to catch a germ from any of us (humans!) Im really worried about him! I cant wait to see the vet to put my mind at rest! :oops:

I am no expert but i doubt very much it was the VHD jab, apparently stress can bring it out.

He can't catch it from humans, id like to know where Alfie got his from as well, ive assumed it was from the buns he was with before!!

Don't worry, the vet will prob give him some antibiotics!

when are you going to the vets??

Your said he's sneezy..looking at the pictures, is that lemon scented woodshavings he's on? If so, it might be worth changing to plain shavings (or even using another bedding material) as the phenols can irritate the respiratory system in small animals. It smells strong enough to humans (in my opinion), can't imagine what it must be like to an animal who's nose is only a few inches away from it all day!
If it's not, then ignore the ramble!

karly, that is a good point, i have never throught of taking woodshavings away from Alfie.

I have wood shavings on the top level of his hutch and before he lies down he kicks all of the woodshavings out of the way so he obviously doesn't like it!?

but i have seen him sneeze in the garden and in my lounge - maybe that was just wishfall thinking :?

it could be the shaving
if it is snuffels then is usually brought on by stress but i comes on quite quickly so im not sure if he has caught from where he came from
becky

Thats a fantastic hutch ... will you be getting him a freind to share that mansion?

If you get could the beautiful Harvey to use a litter tray you could do away with the sawdust altogether. My buns are housed in the shed and are litter trained ... all i put in there is newspaper topped of with hay .... it also makes for easy cleaning. When my buns were in hutches I just used newspaper and hay in there too ... as I cleaned them out every day anyway .... and its far less messy than sawdust flying all over the place when its windy.

Hope Harvey goes on ok at the vets let us know what they say?

Even if the woodshavings aren't the cause of the sneezing, they may be dusty and overscented enough to irritate an already sensitive respiratory system.
Littertraining is a good idea, and you could always cover the floors of the hutch with offcuts of lino to 'wee-proof' them in the even of any accident! Lots of people just bend it up to cover the bottom part of the walls too, which would be a good idea with a big bun like yours as he may start weeing up the walls.
You could always like it with newspaper/Vetbed/straw rather than shavings, and have just plain dust-extracted shavings (or an alternative litter) in a litterbox for him.

Fantastic hutch! I think that allergies cause a clear discharge from the nose so i don't think it's allergies. I'd take him to a vet to be sure. Hope everything goes ok.

Hi we've been to the vets and she listened to his chest which was clear, checked his eyes which were clear and checked his ears which were also fine, just one side of his nose is running and he is still sneezing, he is on a course of Baytrill for 12 days! He doesnt like the taste when the vet said 'he will love it'! Always the way isnt it! She said that i could mix it with a little bit of ribena to make it taste better, which i did but he still didnt want it! So i sat him between my legs and he took it fine! Think he just wanted a cuddle at the same time! Bless him!

The vet did ask if something had stressed him out recently which the answer was yes! We have four dogs and on saturday two of them noticed he's there and did scare him, so thats probably what has caused it, they now are always watched when they are outside!

On the woodshavings, yes they are lemon scented! I think i will get rid of them all together and just use hay! I dont like using them anyway! He is being litter trained and his chosed spot is in him bedroom! He has a litter tray in there which he uses in they day but when i open up in the morning he has clearly moved his tray through the night and goes behind it! Im now going to get a big tray to fill the whole area so he has no choice of moving it or going any where else in there! :lol:

Back