• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

White spot on eye...is it a cataract?

MoBunny

Warren Scout
My 8 year old bunny has just developed a white spot on her right eye.

Could this be a cataract ,if so can anything be done or will she just have to live with it?

The only other thing I could think of is an ulcer but I don't think they are normally so white.

Any ideas?

Maureen

Hey There Maureen,

My bunny Hutchley hoo haa, developed a small white spot on his eye too.
It didn't seem to be bothering him, so we watched it for a while.
It started to grow so we took him to the vets.

He said it was a infected ulcer, inside the eye and gave us 3 meds to give him;
A painkiller, an anti inflammatory and an antibiotic.

It grew so large that finally, he had to have his eye removed.

He now wanders around very happy with one eye, bumping into only a few things!

By no means is this the same as your bunny, but it does sound very familiar.

Perhaps a trip to the vets?

Are you certain it's attached? When they get a hair or something in their eye they tend to get white gunk around it. Have another look tommorow and see if it's still there.

It could be an ulcer - they are sometimes white ish.

It could be a cateract with him being an older bun - cateracts can also be caused by EC - so that might be worth checking.

It probably needs a vet with a scope and some bright green dye to tell which it is :)

They can remove cateracts from dogs - I'm not sure if this has progressed to bunnies. Probably they wouldn't do anything. With very sensitive noses, ears and whiskers you'll probably noticed no difference in her behaviour even if her vision does become impaired :)

Tam

Hi Tamsin,

You can't miss it, it's a big white spot and it covers the puple, she does not seem to be bothered about it.

As she is 8 years I don't want to put her through any surgery if I can help
it.

I will pop her to the vets in the next couple of days to get it checked but I like to try and have a good idea before I go so that I'm not in for any shock, the old ticker can't take it.

Maureen

It could also be a scratch, Magic had a scratch on his eye which I noticed as a white spot

My friends rabbit had a white spot on her eye and the vet said it was pasteurella. She had two courses of antibiotics and it got better.

A trip to the vets is the quickest way to find out, it will be one or the other,if its a cateract then they will leave it, if theres an infection there they will treat with either antibiotics or drops. val

Good luck at the vets, hope she gets on okay! If it is a cataract it will look inside the eye, if its an infection it will look on the surface or literally just below.

HI,

It looks like someone has just painted a white dot on her eye and it gets large an small as the pupil expands and contracts. So it sound like and infection then?

Mauree

Mash has cataracts and they are kind like white clouds when you look at them - he is now blind in his left eye but you would never know it - he still manages to escape if he is given half a chance :roll: His whiskers seem to have grown massive which I am sure is a way of compensating and knowing his surroundings better.

One of my bunnies had an eye infection a while back and it was a more solid white bit on the eye - it cleared up with eye drops. :D

lol Pam

Well, the vet says it's a Cataract!

Which is what I was hoping for, he says as long as it does not turn to Glucoma it is best to leave it alone. He can remove the lens but what's the point.

Reading all the posts it makes me wonder though as it is very round and white, but I guess the vet know's best. She is ok in herself so will keep a good eye ....pardon the pun ...on her and get a 2nd opinion if there is any change.

Just another condition to add to my experience with bunnies in 10 years there is always something new to learn.

Thanks for all your help

Maureen

Back