• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Teaching a Rabbit NO!!

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
when i first got Alfie and he chewed wires or whatever, i used to clap my hands really loudly and he stopped.

That now doesn't work and i need to use something else, basically there is one corner of my boyfriends sofer that he has chewed a hole through and burrows that bit of the carpet (dont know what the attraction is) even when i have put something there like a big book, big coat he manages to move it away!!

Sat morning i managed to break my toe running from the kitchen to stop him from chewing it any more and stubbed my toe :cry:

What can i do to make him stop? i now can't have him in because its soo stressful having to keep a close eye on him constantly as he is ruining the sofa!!! obviously i want him in with me so want to get him out of this, chewing toys are not a distraction, i have tried saying NO in a loud voice and tapping him on the nose - doesn't work..

Any ideas???

Thanks alot

Bonnie

Try "no" once and if he persists say no again pick him up and pop him back in his cage (or if he doesn't have one a carrier). Just for a couple of a couple of minutes tops then let him out again.

Make sure he has other things he is allowed to chew though - distract him :)

Tam

have you tried a squirty water bottle (y'know what they use for spraying plant leaves), worked with smokie - we went through the same thing as you, she has improved with it but still has her moments y'know when were not watching and saying how good she is :wink:

nemo used to head straight for the wires behind the tv. i blocked the tv off when he was out of his cage with a nursery firegaurd . after a few months i started to not bother and he very rarely goes near now ,(except when hes trying to get my attention)

Angie

I am having this problem too.... If I clap my hands or yell she just ignors me I have to take things away...what to do?

What toys are you offering as a distraction?? I have found that things like old telephone directories (buns love trashing them) or an empty cereal box with a veggie treat in works quite well. Also, a large cardboard box for bun to trash from within!! You cant stop a bun being destructive you just have to offer things that are ok to destroy! Then there is always the trusty Olbas Oil...!! I have had great success by dabbing a small amount of the oil on areas I want to deter a destructve bun from. The Oil does pong a bit but wears off in time. Also seems to deter buns from weeing where they shouldn't. JCO xx

I have problems with Leila chewing the carpert. She needs constant supervision :roll: I find the more distractions, for example - veggies, toys, old towls/shirts, phone books, cardboard boxes - the better she is..She also likes it when i get down on the floor with her, she likes jumping on me and licking me etc, and all the fuss i give her! Is Alfie neutered? This can sometimes calm behaviour like this, Leila is to be spayed soon.. Perhaps a spayed female friend may distract him :wink: You know men!

I went out and bought a really big rubber hamburger dog toy that makes a really high pitch squeak. I sit it next to me and when he does something wrong i press on the hamburger and he doesn't like the sound so he stops and walks away. It saves my voice and my hands (from claping), find something like that that he doesn't like the sound of maybe.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies - well I have offered him loads of toys for destraction but like the toys i give him in the run and his hutch he's just not interested he likes chewing ribbon and washing labels, but there is this one bit of the sofer that he wants to chew and burrow.

Driving me nuts.

I think i might get a box and stick loads of ribbon all over it and see what that does.

Tamsin, the carrier thing is a very good idea but Alfie, bless him, takes a while to catch on!!

taking him to the vets tonight to see if he can be neatured yet - can't wait!!

Might try and squeeky toy thing as well!!

Bonnie x

no he doesn't, he burrows the carpet (surely he knows by now there is nothing underneath!) chews my hair and ribbon!

I gave him the yellow pages which he just stared at!!

Bonnie

haha your hair :?
maybe thats where your going wrong- by giving him something to chew might be making him think its ok to chew!

Why does it seem that when i section something off he wants to get to it more than ever? Im havin trouble with my bun too in other words :lol:

Why does it seem that when i section something off he wants to get to it more than ever? Im havin trouble with my bun too in other words

i know its mad! even when i sit in front of the bit where he chews the sofer he burrows me out of the way!!

Back