• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Honey has lost her balance!

Sarah_Jane

Alpha Buck
Yesterday i had to give both my bunnies a bath again and shampoo them as they have fur mice. Last time i did this i made the mistake of not keeping them inside, therefore Honey got ill.

This morning i went to see her in the kitchen and she was on her side, so i brought her onto the floor and she can't stand up, just goes to one side! Her head is slightly tilted to the left. Do you think she has had a bad reaction to the shampoo?

Please help

x

She may have got water in her ear in the bath which has affected it (and as a result, her balance).
I'd get her to a vet asap as headtilts in rabbits can be signs of E cuniculi (if I spelt that right :roll: )
If they've got mites, the vet can give an injection of Ivermectin which is much more effective against mites than shampoos and powders. It's one injection every week for three weeks.

Sorry what's E Cuniculi- i haven't heard of that before? Can anyone shed alittle more light about head tilt as i have heard of it before but dont know much about it?

I'm currently at work at the moment, someone will be in at 11 so i will be able to take her to the vet then! Just thought i would see what you lot thought?

Oh dear poor bun ... I thought your vet said he was going to give the injections ago?

I would recommend them .... my buns are all cleared up ... and they still have one injection left, they will have that on 31st October.

Karly .... all vets seem to be different ... you say a week apart ... someone else on here said 7 -10 days apart and my vet is giving them 10-14 days apart .... its weird how all vets have different ideas eh?

My vet says that my buns will have had 6 weeks protection beating the life and breeding cycle of the fleas/mites.

My vet told me to shampoo them one more time then i have to go back this week for the 2nd injections.

Thanks for that Karly- i just had alittle read and it seems pretty complicated to me! :(

5cutebunnies said:
Karly .... all vets seem to be different ... you say a week apart ... someone else on here said 7 -10 days apart and my vet is giving them 10-14 days apart .... its weird how all vets have different ideas eh?

My vet says that my buns will have had 6 weeks protection beating the life and breeding cycle of the fleas/mites.

Well, mine says 7-10 days but I tend to stick to the 7 days as it's easier for me to remember when they need the next one!

Hiya. Do get your bun to th vet TODAY. Loss of balance/head tilt is indicative of a middle ear problem,(possibly, but not always EC). This is a SERIOUS condition as left untreated the infection can spread to the brain. You need to act especially promptly if you notice your buns eyes 'flicking' from side to side (nystagmus). This is indicative if neurological involvement. Your bun will probably need antibiotics/anti-inflammatories and if your vet suspects EC, treatment to get rid of the parasite. I have found that Stemitil (humans use it for sea-sickness), helps for buns who are very 'out of balance'. Buns can't vomit but probably feel very sick cos their balance has gone. Dont want to frighten you but it is important to get your bun veterinary treatment TODAY. JCO xx

Thanks JCO for that, i have got an appointment for 2.30 they can't get me in this morning, i hope she will be okay until then. I did notice her eyes was slightly watery too this morning and i think her mouth was slightly wet from dribbling! :(

Thanks everyone x

...great. Meantimes is little Honey eating/drinking?? If not do try to get some fluids into her. Wrap her firmly in a towel and use a small syringe to VERY SLOWLY, NOT ALL IN ONE SQUIRT!! syringe some fluids into her. If she wont take anything other than water thats ok for now. You could pop to a chemist and get a baby medicine syringe if you dont have one. You could also get some rehydration sachets (used for babies) which are ok to use in a 'First Aid' situation. Even if you only get a amall amount of fluid into Honey it is better than nothing. Do keep us posted as to how she gets on at the vets. You are doing really well in finding out how best to help her. Big snuggles to the poorly bunster!! JCO xx

Oh poor wee Honey, do et us know how she gets on at the vets and for now im sending big hugs XXX

awww doesn't look too good at the moment! I went to the vet and he said hes going to keep her in over night. He said she isn't reading a temp so shes freezing! :( He said he'll call me if anything happenes, but he said it doesnt look good! :cry: :cry:

Come on Honey, get better for your mummy.
Hope the vet manages to get her warm again and make her feel better. Sending lots of healing vibes to her, and hugs to you.

keep thinking positive . Hope was in a shocking state friday night . she was so cold that she was almost unconcious . she pulled through and is picking up slowly.
if your bun pulls through i would refuse to bath her again. injections should clear mites on their own. if you do bath your buns use a hairdryer to dry them off . it takes ages for a bun to completly dry .
Angie

Back