• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how do you know when their nails are getting too long?

houndour

Warren Scout
The last time my bunnies nails were clipped was when I got them from the rescue center and that was 1st May 2005. I do try to check their nails, but they have dark nails and I can't really see the um...what's it called? like where the blood flows to? I wonder if I should just trim them a tiny tiny bit as they are definitely longer than when I first got them. They just show past the fur.

I think I could do Eeyores quite confidently, he's got very used to me handling him since I have to wipe his snuffly nose nearly everyday! But not so sure with Twiggy. We have some jabs due in beginning of November, so if I cant do Twiggy I could ask the vet then.

If their nails are dark shine a torch under them, you should be able to see the difference between where the nerves and blood vessels end. If in doubt clip less. It may also help if someone else holds the bunny or if you wrap them in a towel whilst you do it to keep them still.

Also remember if you clip their nails to hold the clippers side on, not flat as you would to trim your own nails as you could split their nail.

Good luck

The easiest way is to cut them back to the hair line on there foot you would be almost certain then not to cut the quick, dont forget the dew claw on the side of the foot. val

if they're largely growing outside of their tootsie fur then they're getting too long... but it depends on the length of ur buns fur, short haired ones could have fine nails but still be poking through the fur. in general, i usually gage that from room to tip, anything more than about 10mm is getting longish... or if you CAN see the quick (the pink bit) then about 6 or 7 mm from there on is goodish... i don't like to cut it too short as they still need to get rid of itches etc!

Thanks for the info guys. I'm having them in the house later so will have a look at their nails then.

Could someone explain more what you mean by cutting side on, not straight? I have the proper 'pet' nail clippers.

Back