• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

crusty dry skin down below :S

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
Some of you will know of the skin problems Gabriel has had-the vet seemed to think it was a fungal infection but the fungal test came back negative. he also received treatment for lice/mites. the vet decided to treat him based on him having ringworm(although i have never believed this is what he has)
anyway, he was given the all clear around 2 months ago when he was neutered but today when i was checking him over i noticed that the area where he had his testicles removed was quite dry. on both sides the skin seems to be a bit crusty :? anyone know what this could be?
my poor boy seems to always be in the wars bless his little furry feet.

Where are his scabby bits? Rabbit syphilis causes scabby bits around the testicle area and often the nose/ears too.

Tam

Thats ver hard to tell on here :lol: , would be worth a call to the vet to ask if they noticed anything like vents as i call it. If not im wondering if it may be were they cleaned him up after the op, they may have left a residue of the hibiscrub that may have bin used. After checking with the vet it may help to rub in some baby oil to the dry bit after gently washing the area . valt

well he sort of has two flaps of skin where his testicles were and this is where the dryness is.

what are the other signs of rabbit syphilis? he did have scabby/dry ears which is why the vet thought he had ringworm :? and when i first got him he had a dry scabby patch on his nose but hasnt had it since :?

just had a search about it and came across a link with photos-definately dont think it is that! the bunnies with syphilis looked MUCH worse then Gabriel. his is basically dry skin, not really sore looking. i shall try and get a piccie tmr if i can.

I thought they could pretty well identify or rule out ringworm because most forms of it shows up under UV light?

Really? i didnt know that. i honestly dont think that is what Gabriel had anyway-no idea what it was but dont think it was that! i think my vet didnt know either thats probably why she convinced herself it was ringworm :roll:

If its just under were the testicals would have been then its more likly just to be dry skin, it will do no harm to put a little baby oil on the skin. When the empty sacks shrival then there will be a better air flow :lol: round the area and it should clear. val

Are you looking at his scent glands? They're two little folds of skin either side of the base of his tail. They can get greesy bits and dry skin building up - it can pong abit too ;)

Tam

Tamsin said:
Are you looking at his scent glands? They're two little folds of skin either side of the base of his tail. They can get greesy bits and dry skin building up - it can pong abit too ;)

Tam

:oops: :oops: really? dont suppose you have a piccie or know where i can see a piccie of scent glands so i know if thats what im looking at?

Hi this is really weird cause twinkle has a similar sort of thing in the tiny flaps near her wee-hole.

They are tiny orange scab like things with some dry bits - she only gets it every so often and her bum etc is very clean.

The vet was a bit confused as is everyone else who has seen it - I got advice from a bunny expert who suggested it was a fungal thing and advised my to use some baby oil on it.

So far this seems to be working a treat :D - and Twinkle smells lovely too. Just a tip though only put on a tiny amount cause you don't want them to be sliding all over the place.

lol Pam

I know male rats get "buck grease", which is kind of flakey orange stuff which can look lik scabs. Perhaps rabbits (male or female) get a similar greasy deposit in their scent glands which can get a bit flakey?

Yep, the organy waxy stuff is produced by the scent glands :)Sometimes it gets abit blocked up so giving is a clean with some baby oil or even warm water should sort it :)

Tam

Back