• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit waste

hi guys

just wondering what you all do with all your rabbit waste? i have 6 hutches that are cleaned out every week and i must chuck out atleast 3 dustbin bags full.

i do want something to burn it all in, to save waste but i cant find anything big enough and ive not got alot of money

xx

It makes wonderful garden fertiliser, do you know anyone who has a plot? We have a garden incinerator for some of the stuff and the rest goes in the recycle bins for the council to pick up.

The newspaper and straw + hay goes in a recycling bin that the council picks up. They have only just introduced it but it's great!

Well i clean my hutches out every day :( so have quite a lot of waste which i take to the local tip :) it makes great compost though :wink:

I have a green wheelie bin that gets emptied every 2 weeks for garden waste and all the hay, straw and poo goes in there! It ends up as compost :D

i have a composter. Straw decomposes really quickly, takes a bit longer for the sawdust but eventually you will get lovely rich compost :D

Estelle said:
I have a green wheelie bin that gets emptied every 2 weeks for garden waste and all the hay, straw and poo goes in there! It ends up as compost :D

my council won't accept aniamal waste of any kind in the brown bin, even tho most of it is straw/hay/sawdust

No nor will mine, I think they said it was something to do with preventing spread of foot and mouth, so any animal waste has to be home composted.

waste

im not sure what my council will say

my friend has rabbits and she said that they wont take her rubbish away. touch wood, they have taken all mine (prob cause i disguise it well, lol).

our council is really stingey (is that spelt right?) all that money we pay out (over 1000 a year) and all we get is measly bin bags once every 3 months and we usually end up having to buy loads more, and they dont even provide us with any sort of wheely bin!!!!

Im under greenwich council but i know of a lot of other breeders that are having a terrible time getting rid of waste. For a start im not supposed to put rabbit waste in my bins and they wont compost it [its mainly wood chips] they class it as hazadous waste :lol: :( so it carnt go in the green bins at the tip, and i carnt let them no its going in the tip with the household waste :roll: .As i have 80 odd rabbits u can imagine how many black bags i have :lol: . What i have to do is put the rabbit waste in the bottom half of my bins then top it up with household waste so the dustman wont twig. I have four weelie bins :lol: dont tell anyone im only supposed to have one. The second cleanout of the week someone takes to the tip for me. Id love to compost it but would need an acre to do it in :lol: . As for burning ,tryed that and got reported because it caused to much smoke. Its getting rearly worrying . val :(

burning

my bf's sister burns her rabbit waste as shes only got one hutch, so shes not got alot of waste like me.

she used to burn it during the day but it was very smokey so she does it at night now.

you would think that councils would want to help with this sort of thing. saving the planet and all.

Burning is now not allowed if you live in a smokless zone as we do in london also i think its not allowed in the daytime. You have to wait till after dark. This has been a rule for as long as i can remmember, due to others having there washing out and things like that. val

I clean the hutches out into a wheelbarrow and then take it out to a compost pile in the wood. After 6 months you can't even see the old piles as they have rotted away completely.

MINE GOES IN THE BIN (DISGUISED :twisted: ) OR TO THE TIP . IT IS A BIG PROBLEM ESPECIALY IN WINTER AS WE USE SO MUCH MORE BEDDING THEN.

ANGIE

We give some of our waste to a family member to compost and the rest goes in the bin. Never had a problem with them taking it.

Louise

Back