• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

farewell to Butterscotch Guess this is where I need to post

As many of you know we brought our bunny on vacation with us thinking he would be safer and happier than if we left him home alone for a month, which he was. We were on the last day of our trip home and we stopped at my grandmothers for a visit and to let the dogs (labs) out to run and I set his cage out so he could have some fresh air as well, making sure the cage was wired shut good so he would not get away. We went in for a brief lunch and when we came back out the cage was empty. I was distraught and immediatly went looking for him unfortunately I was horrified at what I found. He was dead, just died, felt a couple of last twitches then nothing. Our lab sadie has always been very interested in chasing him so we have been good to keep them separate. They has spent 2 days in the truck together, he in the cage with no incident but apparently Sadie freaked out and killed him. She tore the cage apart and killed him. I am sooooo distraught and have been sobbing for 2 days. The worst was telling our 3 and 1/2 yr old daughter what happened and burrying him this morning. We all sobbed and sobbed. I feel so stupid like if I had just left him in the truck or never got him while we had dogs or something he would still be alive. I am furious at my dog but I know she was just following an inate instict or something. It would be like telling a cat not to kill a mouse or something. She has never been a bad dog, a little psycho now and then but nothing like this. But everything reminds me of him and my son 18 months keeps pointing to his pen wanting to see him. It is awful! How do I get past this, I feel like dying right now. Please I need some support or something.
Thanks

so sorry to hear this. it must be a terrible shock, but he had a wonderful life with you. I felt the same way when Nougat died (of flystrike) as i felt it was all my fault. The wonderful people on this forum helped me through it by reassuring me that she had had a lovely home, and I'd done my very best for her. These things happen unfortunately.
binky free butterscotch.
Hugs to you and your family christine.

am i crazy

Would I be totally crazy to consider getting another bun after this tragedy? Obviously more precautions would have to be taken to keep the dogs away, but I just miss him so ooo much. I know another bun won't take his place but I have so much room in my heart to love another one. I loved going out to work in my greenhouse and having the company and I have all these things in my garden I grew for him and I feel like I don't even want to go out to the garden now. Part of me want to never own a bunny again but most of me really wants another. What should I do?
Thanks

Re: am i crazy

chrissylouwho79 said:
Part of me want to never own a bunny again but most of me really wants another. What should I do?

I'd say get another. You have room in your heart to love a bunny, so get a bunny to love! What a wonderful way to remember your dear departed bunny, by giving another needy bun a loving home. You have learned from what happened and are obviously going to take extra care now. I see no reason at all why wanting another bunny would be crazy or wrong. I say go for it.

AMETHYST

Dear Christine ....I am so sad for you. You loved him so much to even take him on vacation with you and I am sure he had great fun. I know exactly how you feel and can only offer my warmest thoughts for you.

playbears006.gif

I'm so sorry to read your sad sad news. If it's any consolation something similar happened to me once...we used to keep chickens and unfortunately one became ill (Daisy) and we brought her inside. One day we left the door to the utility open (where the Daisy was being kept) and the dog managed to find his way in. The dog had always been fine with the chickens, interested but fine but tragically that day he wasn't fine. I totally agree with you that although you may be terribly hurt by your dogs actions it is not his fault. I'm sure that your dog did not mean to hurt your rabbit, as i'm sure that Sam did not mean to hurt Daisy - he just wanted to play.

You do get over it although it is hard to come to terms with - that something you love can hurt so terribly another loved animal. It was a very unfortunate accident with very sad consequences.

Once again, i'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

Melanie

Talked to my hubby today and his exact words for my asking to get another bun were "not unless we get rid of Sadie (dog), or you can get one but the bunny will just get killed again" :cry: I guess I will give it more time and ask again later, he is still grieving as well.

Yes, he's probably still hurting. It's understandable. Wait until the raw emotion has passed and you can both look at this with the benefit of hindsight and a bit of healing time. You'll both be able to think about things more practically and then make the right choice for both of you. In the meantime, my heart goes out to all of you during this difficult and emotional time.

AMETHYST

Hi,
Well after talking to him again later on he appologized for being so negative. And is open to getting another bun but we are going to fix some things in the buns enclosure so it is sure to keep bun in and dog out. My grandma sent me a card today with money telling me I need another bunny because I am so good with animals and not to deprive another bun of a good home. So I think we will keep our eyes open for buns in need. There are usually a lot of them at the shelter, and often some in the newspaper as well. I really appreciate all the condolences and support here.

Hi Christine,

Just thought that if you are going to get another rabbit there is quite a good section in the book by Linda Dykes and Helen Flack 'Living with a Houserabbit' about introducing dogs and cats to rabbits. I've also seen some articles on the internet about it...perhaps you could try some of their suggestions to help with introductions?

Melanie

I was so sorry to read of your loss.

You have a very big heart and Grannies usually know best especially when they send you the money to buy a new bunny who needs some of that love you have pouring out of you.

Back