• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Aureomycin

nic99

Warren Scout
Has anybody else ever tried this antibiotic on their snuffle buns? If not I would reccomend you give it a go. It has worked really well on Milo. I have only heard him sneeze about 3 or 4 times in the last month since he went onto this. The course finished several days ago and he is still sneeze free. It is really easy to administer as well. It is a powder which you dissolve in the water and replace everyday. It it easy on the gut and Milo liked the taste of it too.
So yay for aureomycin!

(available from all good veterinary surgeries)
:wink:

Thanks for that, I will ask my vet about it if I need to take Jack up for treatment again. He usually goes on Baytril as it seems to do the job, but I like the sound of being able to administer that in water, Jack's not overly keen on taking medicines!! :D

don't wish to be a spoilsport, but this is a really strong antibiotic which has a very wide ranging action. It is actually withdrawn from human treatment because of side effects and the fact that many organisms are becoming resistant :(

if you use it you should be aware that it will significnatly disrupt your bunnies natural gut flora. I appreciate that you will be getting it from a vet (I hope) but if you ask for it by name you might influence the vets decision when they would have used something else. I think it should probably be last resort :?

I didnt realise it could have those effects. This antibiotic was given to me as a replacement for the amoxicillin that was originally prescribed. I was unhappy about giving that to Milo because of reported effects on the gut flora. So i'm not very happy to learn that this antibiotic could also have bad effects. I guess I am just lucky it hasn't affected him. I was giving him probiotic the whole time he was on it.
Thanks for the info, do you think it would be safe to try it again when he goes downhill again knowing he didn't have a reaction to it this time? or should I steer clear?

Nicola xx

i think that the probiotic is an excellent idea, that should counteract the effects :)

You should be aware that even tho its worked this time, if the organism becomes resistant then it may not work next time :?

there is the same risk with any antibiotic, some have very specific action against specific bugs, the best thing is if your vet can take a sample of snot (sorry cant think of a less gross word!!) then the lab can test which antibiotic it is sensitve to, and then you know it deffinatlay will work. Both auromycin and amoxicillin are what are called broad spectrum, which means they can kill lots of differnet kinds of bugs, hence the fact that they kill of gut flora as well as the snuffly bugs

Back