• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Repellant

Bunster

Young Bun
Guys,

Is there anything I can put on wires to stop my rabbit from chewing through them? I have put plastic wire cover tubes (from Ikea) around some of them but there are some which I can't do because the wires are flush with the wall. I have also tried sticky tape - but this doesn't look the greatest. The last straw was when Douglas bit through the burglar alarm wire! :x :roll: I have heard that they don't like lime, lemon, toothpaste or chilli - is it okay? And in what form? - lime juice? fresh chilli? I know that it's just natural for them to chew. I will buy more toys as well.

Stephanie : )

the best form of electrical piping is conduit piping, they cannot get through this and is used mainly for out door use, underground etc to protect wires from underground burrowers like moles etc. It is not flexible stuff hence it is so tough but you can buy joints that means you can angle it into positions that you require :wink: The advantage to this is you can put quite a lot wire from different electrical appliances :D

The spray on stuff you can get from that national pet store does not always work. I took in a very sweet 12 week old pew lop eared bunny earlier this year, Donna had a few phone calls from a lady looking for advise about how to stop this bun eating her cables. Out of the many ideas Donna suggested to her, the only one she did try was the spray. After her son was electrocuted from touching the live wires on his playstation electric cable and the firebrigade paid a visit after she had a fire as a result of the wires touching each other she finally handed over her bunny to ARC.

I am not convinced ........

Janice

I use JML cable tidies - made of tough non-chewable plastic and are also great for tidying all your cables away e.g. round the back of your PC or TV.

AMETHYST

Bunster said:
Guys,

Is there anything I can put on wires to stop my rabbit from chewing through them? I have put plastic wire cover tubes (from Ikea) around some of them but there are some which I can't do because the wires are flush with the wall. I have also tried sticky tape - but this doesn't look the greatest. The last straw was when Douglas bit through the burglar alarm wire! :x :roll: I have heard that they don't like lime, lemon, toothpaste or chilli - is it okay? And in what form? - lime juice? fresh chilli? I know that it's just natural for them to chew. I will buy more toys as well.

Stephanie : )

I wouldn't use chilli, it will burn their mouth and be painful! :shock:

I read somewhere on here recently to rub soap on whatever they're chewing. I tried it and it's certainly helped me as Pebble doesn't chew as much now. I only put the soap on wooden areas she was chewing like doors and skirting boards. For all the wires from the TV I rolled small squared chicken wire round them and she hasn't been able to eat them since. :D
Someone also suggested on here to use pepper but I haven't tried that so not sure if it works.
Good luck!

When electricians take short cuts with wiring (ie not drilling holes in the walls) they house the visible wires in a solid plastic rectangular covers that are attached to the wall.

I'm not sure if these can be put over existing wires but I'm sure a trip to your local B&Q could be helpful. Even if you need to use an electrician to free the cables so they can be fitted it sounds better that Janice's story of electrocution and fires (cheaper too!)

I think I am going to try the soap thing. I don't really want to rub chilli and garlic over my house! Plus don't want to hurt Douglas's taste buds. :)

I put my boyfriends strong aftershave on the part of the sofa that he chews, he went to chew it today once and then stopped!! it worked :lol:

prob have to keep reapplying it thought - the whole lounge will end up smelling of Gucci Envy!

Back