• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Problem after castration

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
Oxo and Pippin were castrated on Monday. Both appear to be doing fine, eating, weeing and pooing for England and are recovering in a pen in my spare bedroom. Took them both for their post op check-up last night (Thur) and one of them has a swollen scrotum. He's not reacting to it being touched and the vet said it was probably a post operative thing, blood in there. I asked if she could give him something and she gave him a little anti-inflammitory jab. She said just to keep checking him for infection and to see if it was getting any bigger or looking angry.

Has anyone elses boy rabbit experienced the same thing?
I'm a bit stressed about it.

Rabswood :(

ARC have had a couple over the years like that, all it is is that they have suffered some oozing post operatively and the blood tends to collect in the lowest parts, sometimes in the cavity where the testicle has been removed, otherwise within the cell structure itself, as long as they are able to wee and poo and this does not obstruct these basic bodily functions from occuring, there is nothing that could or should be done. Time will allow the blood to be reabsorbed and then the swelling will go down.

If it was a blood clot, you would be causing further risk to them by reopening the wound due to infection / delayed wound healing and would be unnecessarily giving the rabbit an anaesthetic.

The steroid is an anti-inflammatory which will reduce some of the inflammation / swelling.

The only things which can be done in this case would be Rest / Ice / Elevation all which are a little trickie with a castrated bun :D

As your vet says keep an eye for infection, any increase in the swelling and if there are any problems causing your rabbit to stop being able to wee or poo then take them straight back. It should settle down fairly soon.

Janice

hi

Hi

My boy had that, almost looked like his testicles were still there :lol: but its nothing to worry about, if it was, he would be unhappy OUCH!!! and he is weeing and pooing so that is good..

sweety

Danni-Boy had one swollen ball after his op!! It was not painful and I think it was actually a localised tissue reaction to a rather tight suture. Once the sutures where removed Danni-Boy had two normal sized balls within a couple of days. Wonder if there are any blokes reading this topic....If so SORRY LADS!!! JCO xx

The same thing happened with my boy after he was castrated. he was swollen for about five days but it had no ill effects and went down by itself. As long there is no infection there he will be fine.

hi

Hi
Your MAN COMMENT, well its worse for human males,, :oops: I am glad im not a man, thats all I can say, but then they should take responsibility as we women give birth :lol:

Thats a good topic in another section..hehehehe

sweety

Back