• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shall I bond now?? UPDATE - 4th DAY

toria

Warren Scout
Look below.

Hi, thanks for all your messages.
Got up early this morning to pop round to the vets to ask about the stitches still being seen. As they are dissolvable, they will take 50 days to go so I had nothing to worry about so after doing the weekly hutch cleaning, I set up the kitchen ready, although they have been in there, it was with their hutches, and as they aren't strangers it was the best place in my house.
Well, Toby decided to just do what any boy and kept being rude with poor Willow. Don't think he knows what he's doing as any end of Willow would do him (!). They both wondered around doing their own thing exploring the space and all the objects I had put down for them and when close together Toby would be naughty but Willow escapes and runs off. I feel sorry for Willow as she would go up to Toby and put her head under his chin as if to be friends then he would just get on top of her. He did chase her a bit but nothing that I really had to seperate them. I first let them together for 30 mins, then 45 mins where Willow obviously had enough and jumped up onto Toby's box out of his way!! Then for an hour where Toby seemed to behaving more (I hope!). I managed to calm him down by brushing his fur and he sat still but then Willow gave him a taste of his own medicine and did the rudeness Toby had been giving her.
Is this normal??
I mean, I've read about it in books and other people's situations but then it happens and I kept wondering if it should.
So, I'm not saying Toby was like this the whole time, as he wasn't and they would just happily jump around and look at things and sometimes, he'd be on top of Willow, when he'd find something more interesting to do like eat the supagrass I'd put out for them.
I've seperated them and put them back seperatly tonight and will put them together again tomorrow.
Does anyone think this is going well?
I think I need abit of reassurense.
Also should I seperate them when Toby is on top of Willow?
ANd when they finally relax, I want them to live in the hutch Toby currently occupys, should it matter that Toby came out of it before they both go in??
I'm pleased how it went and there wasn't any aggression, just wondered what you think?? :? :?: :?

Hello,
I've got the week off work next week, hopefully get my rabbits living together. By next week my two 6 month old bunnys Toby and Willow will have been neutered 4 weeks ago.
They have always and currently live in the same shed but in seperate hutches and can see each other all the times. They have run around in the same space as each other seperatly so are quite used to each other's smell. They do take an interest in each other by 'kissing' through the wire of the hutches but there has been no aggression or anything. They tend to look at each other then go off, run around and do their own thing. I am hoping since they have been in each other's company since they were 8 weeks old that they will get along.
They are both well after their operations and there were no problems, I can still see the end of the stiches when I look closely. They are dissolvable.
I want them to live together in the one hutch that is currently occupied by Toby (male) and have the freedom of the shed.
Obviously I still have to bond them in a neutral area but will it be ok to put them back in the shed they have both been used too? They have to go in there. Obviously it takes time and I've the week to do it. All neutral areas in my house are carpeted as they have spent time in my tiled kitchen when they came back from the vets and when Toby had heat stroke.
Think I am worrying too much but if you've any help and ideas on how to go about things in my situation that I have tried to explain, your help will be much appreciated. I've read other advice but it's sometimes difficult when the advice dooesn't quite match your situation.
I think and hope that it will go well and pretty much straight forwards and as usual (!) I am just over worrying about it all. Sorry to go on!! :roll:
So, have you any tips?

Before they go back into the shed, move absolutely everything around. Clean it thoroughly with a nice strong smelling disinfectant so that it removes a lot of their smell, and put things back in different places, including where they sleep, their food bowl, water bottle etc. I've been told that if you do this, it confuses their sense of this being "their" territory.

mmm... its very hard to know when the right time will be.
I think your in a good position to try, are they from the same litter?

As your home you should be able to pair them quiet quickly. If you have a run or use the shed,introduce them and just watch. Toby is going to keep trying to mate and this will continue for some time. As ive said before as long as they dont hurt each other they should be fine, i do mine in a day, there in the run to make sure theres no dislike, then later in the day they are both put in the bucks cage and that is that. Keep a close eye on them for the rest of the day just to see whot the doe does if she gets fed up with the buck keep mounting her. Usualy the does get into a corner when theve had enough and the buck gets bored and they end up laying next to each other. I know some people do have trouble but i dont have problems [ apart from the madam ive still got that hates bucks] :lol: Ifell that throwing them in at the deep end is the quickest way after the initial introw. val

Toby is a lionhead and Willow is a mini-lop but are both the same age. They have been together since 8 weeks old. Spent brief time living together before sperated incase of an accident. But like I said I keep them in view of each other all the time. They are a matter of cms apart and one can always go up to the other and play in the same area and I've seen no problems. They are friendly little things that watch each other, etc then dash around in their own world.
I think what I most concerned about is:
Is 4 weeks after op now safe to do this?
The only place a neutral area in my house is on a carpeted floor as they've both been in the tiled kitchen.
That putting them into the shed to share the space and one hutch be ok, would I have to do all cleaning etc before leaving them to share it.
Oooh I've confused my self now! :oops:

My three boy buns lived in a smiliar situation to yours, they could always see and smell each other 24/7 and so were quite used to one another.

I hope your bonding goes as well as mine did it was a breeze! Though I have to add that all don't go that way!

I think as you are off next week its a perfect oppurtunity :D

As they were only in your kitchen a short while as they got over their ops I should think that area would be fine for the bonding.

I used the kitchen and started early one saturday morning, so I knew I had all day to keep an eye on things.

It was love at first sight with all three boys and they have been totally loved up ever since.

There will be humping and lots of it :shock: my boys went mad at it but by the afternoon things had started to calm down, I would say that they got all the humping out of the way in the first week!

I kept the boys in the kitchen for hours then I took them out into the run, observed them there, all was ok so I finally them into the shed and everything went well :D

Take a look here this was my thread about them bonding ... as you can see It was quite stressful lol.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=5410&highlight=bonding+htree+males

One last thing you say you can still see a little bit of your buns disolvable stitches? I was told by my vet that if the had gone in 10 days take them back ... which is what I ended up having to do with Bernard and they just snipped the remaining stitch out.

Good luck let us know how it goes :D

Both males and femals hump, your male will get bored after hes been paired for a while. Does do it as well when there broody but a little while after spaying theyll stop.Most does dont take to much notice of the boys trying to bonk and will put them in there place. val

Ready yet????

4th day of bonding today and haven't got as far as I want, thanks to my new neighbour ripping out his kitchen and it being far too noisey to bring the bunnys inside to the kitchen.
I've had them together everyday and today I had them out for 3 hours this morning and not once did anything rude happan!! It looked like it could've several times and I could hear both of them at different times, making that little grunting noise when you know rudeness may happan, but it didn't. They just kept hopping about, eating grass and playing. Willow has been up the stairs severla times. SHe puts her head under Toby's chin and today Toby was putting his head under WIllow's. Each of them have done so then gone to lie down but the other has run off instead so I feel progress has been made. They seem absolutly fine together and are happy but have not yet snuggled down lying together and grooming one another.
Does anyone think they are ready to be put together permantly now??
I am hoping to clean the hutch out tomorrow, that Toby occupys at moment as this is where I want them both to live.
ARe they ready?
I am pleased with them, they lokk lovely together, at last !! :D

Back