• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye problem

jackyboy

New Kit
Hi,

I got a white rabbit of 3 years old.

Last sunday it started to feel bad and stopped feeding. I brought it to the vet and the rabbit was having a temp of 41.5. The vet diagnose a virus infection and gave it a shot of longamox, for 2 days. It started to feel bad and one of the eye started swelling after one day the eye swell very badly, he prescribed 1cc of ciplox every 24 hrs by oral. I brought it to another vet and he said it was an inflamation of the eye so gave it a shot of an antiflamatory antibiotics.

After 24hrs the eye is still bad and is bulging out badly.

I just phones the vet and he hasn't got an idea what it can be, he said to me to come back tomorrow for another shot of the antiflamatory antibiotics.

Anyt expert out there who can point me out what disease my rabbit is having? Any medicine or treatment you can advise to point the vet.

Cheers

Kev.

mmm, was thinkiing the same myself. My friends bun was treated for a variety of things before it was diagnosed as myxi, she knew it was myxi all the time but the vet kept insisting that vaxed buns couldnt get it :x

Oh Kev so sorry your rabbit is sick. Is there a different vet clinic you could go to? As Phill said, where are you? This link might give you so info www.medirabbit.com Really hope you bun will be ok. JCO x

Hi,

I'm from Mauritius. About 6000 miles from London!

Thanks for the info.

Actually only one eye of the rabbit is swollen. My rabbit is not vaccinated

Can anyone help on the treatment?

Cheers

Kev

Hi,

Ta for the link Phill.

I just read on a website that the rabbit have swollen eye and genitals.

Mine has only one swollen eye. I will talk to the vet and see if he knows the disease "myxi".

cheers

Kev.

I could possibly be an abscess behind the eye, can the vet take an xray of it? And sometimes tooth roots can grow into the eye socket causing a similar problem.

I had this problem with one of my rabbits several years back. she had massive abscess in her tooth which we were completely unaware of. The first thing we knew of it was her eye looking very red and eventually the eye started to come out of its socket (horrible i know). The vets didnt know what it was and it was only when they decided to resort to removing the eye that they discovered the abscess. unfortunately it was too late for her, as it had spread from her tooth and infected her entire jaw and even parts of her brain. She had to be put to sleep.
Perhaps you should suggest this possibility to your vet so they can do something about it before its too late.

good luck, Nicola xx

That was the diagnosis of the 2nd vet. he gave it a shot of an anti flamatory antibiotics. I can't remember the name exactly but I think it was Toflin.

I've an appointment tomorrow with the vet.

Ta for all the help.

Cheers

Kev.

Iwas ging to say abccess behind the eye i lost a rabbit last year with this, i made the desision to have him pts as the prognoses of this is not good. val :(

Back