• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

French Lop owners...?

helenlop2

Young Bun
Hi to all,

I am interested to hear from other French Lop owners. I have a 7 month old who never seems to stop eating. I wonder if this is normal. Also, I am getting her spayed soon and wonder just how much calmer it will make her.

Thanks.

We have a frenchie but he is 3 years old, he loves to eat and has had to diet a few times because he couldn't clean his bottom properly :shock: . I think all babbits love to eat and i am sure someone with more info on young babbits will be along with advice soon :D

Oh a Frenchie.......WONDERFUL!! If she's eating lots of hay/grass thats fine, even if she's eating 24/7!! Its the dried mix/pellets that need to be controlled. I have recently lost my Frenchie, Victoria Meldrew,(she was grumpy when I adopted her!!). Can we see some pics of your girlie...?? Spaying her will calm her down but so will 'growing up'. You've got a bunny teenager and a big one at that. JCO xx

piccies would be great :D

Here's Sidney superbun :D

DSC00988.jpg

JCO said:
OH HE'S GORGEOUS. Big bunny snuggles to the handsome man!! JCO xx

Will pass them on to him, he is a bit grumpy at the moment due to me grooming his bottom for big knots :shock: Will make it up to him with food, he loves that :roll: :D

Sugar is a frenchie and she is a very big eater i have to keep an eye on what she eats as she puts it on very quickly

Rudy isnt a particularly big eater. He eats most of what he gets for dinner. he is fond of yoghurt drops though :)

Well from somebody who used to breed/show them; Frenchies are couch potatoes.

They eat a lot,& sleep a lot, so watch those calories :wink: :lol: or yes, they can get so lazy they won't clean themselves of practice coprophagia as they should! :lol:

If in doubt, give them their veg & pellet, BUT plenty of hay, they can't get fat on hay!

Bunnyboarding said:

They eat a lot,& sleep a lot, so watch those calories :wink: :lol: or yes, they can get so lazy they won't clean themselves of practice coprophagia as they should! :lol:

If in doubt, give them their veg & pellet, BUT plenty of hay, they can't get fat on hay!

cheryl i am sure if you dont over feed they would be couch potatoes, although i sorta know what you mean, my giants take being crepsular to the limit and lounge ALL DAY!!!! but boy can they move!!!!!!! especially if you have food in your hand!................gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Hi,

Mr Billy is a Frenchie and he eats for Britain, thank god it's mostly hay :lol: :lol:

He has a bowl full of pellets a day ......small bowl and unlimited hay. He has just had his weight done and at 14months he is 5.28 kilos. I will be checking this to make sure he does not put on too much weight like his mum :lol: :lol:

Maureen

bunnylove said:
Bunnyboarding said:

cheryl i am sure if you dont over feed they would be couch potatoes, although i sorta know what you mean, my giants take being crepsular to the limit and lounge ALL DAY!!!! but boy can they move!!!!!!! especially if you have food in your hand!................gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

No seriously, Eve, they are reknowned for being lazy! :wink:

bunnylove said:
Bunnyboarding said:

No seriously, Eve, they are reknowned for being lazy! :wink:

Piccies..

Thanks for all your replies. I had guessed she'd be a big eater - loves her hay and grass and anything green she can find! She's on Supa Rabbit Excel as well which she loves. Its asthonishing how quick she polishes off her food compared to our english lop, but then he's quite slow at everything bless him! :lol:

Couple of piccies of Thumper when she was a baby back in July and one of my two together. She is now twice the size and character. She wouldn't fit in the tube anymore (in fact she destroyed it in a temper one day) :lol:

Thumper.jpg

Thumptube.jpg

Patiotogether.jpg

Helen

Back