• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How can I give Chester calpol/tablets?

indigoroses

Young Bun
I have to give Chester calpol for the pain, but now he's feeling better it's becoming impossible. We can't hold him with too much force because of his leg, obviously - but he still has a heck of a kick. He doesn't like humans much *anyway* and has now taken to biting really hard.
Obviously we don't want to keep trying and dtressing him out/hurting him. We've been trying to give it to him in a syringe, which worked initally but now he has more energy fails dismally. We can't hold him properly and get the syringe in his mouth. We tried stabbing cranberries on the end of it to get him to oen his mouth but he just throws the cranberry off it in temper. He got so distressed he was biting me any chance he got, then kicking out and nipping everything near him.
I've given uip and put him back in his box with his partner at the moment to make him happier and distract him, but he's still in pain.
Any suggestions?
The vert said if we couln't get calpol in him a 1/4 of a paracetamol would work, but I can't think how we'd get that in him at the moment either.
He won't come to me anymore, he's very annoyed with me!

The only thought I could have if you have been asked to give a 1/4 of a calpol by the vet would be to crush it and try and put it in with a small amount of food, whether dried or fresh vegetables.

Janice

Calpol....Hmmm well if the vet said so....?? Is it the same Calpol kids have? If so it comes in a liquid form (banana flavoured I think...?) and might be easier to administer. Are you sure its 'Calpol' and not CARPROFEN (Rimadyl).....? Would your vet allow you to give analgesia via injection. Would you be happy to do this if shown how?? (Sorry, too many questions!!) Has any one else out there ever heard of Calpol (which is parecetamol isn't it) being prescribed for a bun. Get well soon Chester!! JCO xx

Have you tried wrapping him securley in a towel and make sure it covers his eyes, that may calm him down a bit?

Crush or squirt the dose into a spoon of porridge. (porridge oats mixed with water) It's very yummy and he probably won't notice the meds.

Tam

Bbys calpol is often used when i have no metacam, if they do a banana flaver then try it because most rabbits love the taste. Otherwise the only alternative is wrap him in a towel and get someone to hold him while u syringe it into his mouth. val

Back