• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The big chill?

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
According to the Met Office, we could be in for one of the coldest winters in 200 years. Make sure you're prepared.

What suggestions do people have for keeping outdoor rabs protected?

1. Cover the shed/hutch with an old carpet with tarpaulin on the top to water proof.

2. Cover any mesh windows/doors using transparent celophane (I've used sticky pads to attach mine it stays on all the time but is protected from the rain by a veranda) and at night cover with a blanket/towel.

3. Buy a microwaveable heat pad especially designed for small animals. Holds warmth for about 10 hours and can be put in their bed boxes. If you look around on the internet you can pick one up for about £18.00.

I would appreciate any other ideas people have.

Cheers

Rabswood

rabswood said:
I would appreciate any other ideas people have.

So would I! My buns enclosures are completly open and i need ideas to protect them even just a bit if the winter is going to be as bad as predicted!

I've covered my hutches with what looks like silver bubble wrap then covered that with a hutch hugger. Thay also have straw in the sleeping quarters in the winter (last winter they made lovely cosy nests out of it for themselves).. also have a snugglepad for each hutch. I did toy with the idea of getting a couple of wicker baskets (got some from Ikea). The idea was to have a smaller one inside the larger one and straw as insulation bewteen the two baskets. Didn't do it in the end as it would take up too much room in the hutch but may be an idea for someone who has a big set-up. Apart from the obvious e.g. tarpaulin, I wonder if you could stuff straw into one of those fabric tent type things from Poundstretchers.

For hutch bunnies you could get a cardboard box thats a little smaller than where your bun sleeps and pack the space between the hutch and cardboard with hay and newspaper for insulation.

Bunnies that live in shed could have this too! A box inside a box.

At the moment my buns all sleep in cardboard boxes but as it gets much colder Im going to give this idea ago.

Eek! My rabbit is coming home on the 17th of December for the Christmas holidays. I am at uni and he lives as a house rabbit with Kathy during term time. He can't withstand a temperature change. Oh well I have a nice argument for him living inside again. Last winter was because he was 'ill'. (That means he had a slightly runny eye in November and never left!) He loves being inside!

what about wrapping the hutches in those silver survival blankets you can get fron camping shops.

The foil you can get from the DIY shops for putting behind radiators are usually cheaper and a slightly better size for covering hutches than the ones destined for humans. Excellent idea.

Janice

:evil: I hate winter, not only do I always seem to have a cold, but its a right pain when its really windy, freezing cold and pouring down with rain :evil:

I don't mind so much its nice and crisp out just not rainy and windy.

I always have trouble with my water bottles freezing no matter what I put on them, what am I doing wrong?

mine are getting a new shead for the winter if it ever arives suposed to be here last week now its next week whats the best heating to put in the buns shead?

Jaypot said:
Don't forget the water bottles as well, some kind of covering for them so that they do not freeze :)

im use old and odd wooly socks for that :lol: works a treat

Jaypot said:
Don't forget the water bottles as well, some kind of covering for them so that they do not freeze :)

we use sheeps wool, my mum spins it so she usually has a fleece or two it's great stuff!

Phill said:
Jaypot said:

we use sheeps wool, my mum spins it so she usually has a fleece or two it's great stuff!

better get her spining then and post some out! :lol: :lol: :lol:

what is the stuff that looks like silver bubble wrap? i would like to insulate my plastic greenhouse and our bubble wrap is ripped up, how much does it cost where can i get it from or is horticultural fleece cheaper?

lisa

mini lop1 wrote

what is the stuff that looks like silver bubble wrap? i would like to insulate my plastic greenhouse and our bubble wrap is ripped up, how much does it cost where can i get it from or is horticultural fleece cheaper?

Screwfix sell it for £6.49 for 5 meters which should cover most hutches, it is also 50cm deep. http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea...r+foil&gtse=gtuk&gtkw=radiator+reflector+foil Most good DIY stores should sell it.

Jeremy has also used the same stuff to cover his shed to protect Mishka from the heat. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=7155&highlight=shed+insulation

Janice

ladystardust said:
How do you prevent their drinking water from freezing over?

Where can you get off cuts of old carpet? :oops:

Someone suggested using old woolly socks which I thought was a good idea. I might wrap them in tin foil first then put them in a sock. You can also buy water bottle covers from Pets at Home and probably other pet shops.

You could try going to a few of the smaller places that sell carpets and ask if they've got anthing they dont want, explain why.

When I put lino down in my playhouse I told the man in the shop what I wanted it for and he let me have a huge roll for £5. Plenty to lino Rabsville and another shed!

Rabswood

Someone suggested using old woolly socks which I thought was a good idea. I might wrap them in tin foil first then put them in a sock. You can also buy water bottle covers from Pets at Home and probably other pet shops.

You could try going to a few of the smaller places that sell carpets and ask if they've got anthing they dont want, explain why.

When I put lino down in my playhouse I told the man in the shop what I wanted it for and he let me have a huge roll for £5. Plenty to lino Rabsville and another shed!

Rabswood

That is really innovative (the sock) I mean I never would have thought about doing that. I have both bowls and tie on water bottles for the wooden hutch outside.

Did you go to a well known retailer for the lino?

I have some old tubigrip Ive had for years so praps I could cover the bottles with foil and then that - coo arent we an innovative lot when we get going :lol:

Back