• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

POST OP ROUTINE!?

bobsmom

Young Bun
bob just got back from the vet today-- the neutering
i am NOT COMFORTABLE with where he went to. no specific reason, just a gut instinct.

what boys normally like after this? he has hardly moved -- eaten or drinking (well a little but NOT MUCH) all day!!

also-- can anyone describe to me the way the incisions or whatever look like after it's been done-- like where it was done, not necessarily like worred abour infection; more of location!! i see where the vet went in, and i want to compare to how other folks have seen it done!!

You say he has not moved since he has come home? is he still groggy after his Nueter.

Have you checked underneath to see if their is any inflamation or seeping blood?

As for the scar, you should not see much except for the stitches, their would be a only a small scar on each testicle running up and down with maybe 2 or 3 stitches. If he is still not eating or moving around take back to the vets for a check up :)

it looks like they went in through his belly...
there is an incision @ 1 inch long (maybe 1.5) with @ 3 stitches on it, but i see none on his testicles (but i can tell they're definitely not there anymore)
he has started to eat a little bit. i put some treats in his cage to try to tempt him. i took him out a bit ago for some love and snuggles and he really doesn't seem all that groggy, just tired (if that makes sense)

Maybe his testicles had not dropped? how old is he?

If the testicles have not dropped their would be 2 small cuts just inside the legs on each side(Between the Legs) and that is were the stitches are Yes? He should be moving round more and eating, is he drinking at all?

they had DEFINITELY dropped. he is over a year old.

they went in through the middle lower part of his belly. it looks like they went right down the center of his belly and took them out from "above".i can see three sutures right down the line of this incision.

oh and he is starting to eat some, and has definitely had some to drink. not a lot-- just munching and grazing some here and there. i'm just trying to give him more lap/ love time. he's been a bit "nippy" with me (more in "grooming" sort of response than the normal "cross/ mom i've got to 'pee' " sort of way)

I must admit this seems strange to me :? it sounds more like a spay than a nueter :shock:

How is he now? Is he drinking? as this will flush the anestetic(Sp) out of his system :)

We have had lots of boys done 8) but I have never heard of a vet going down the middle for a castrate :shock: are you in the UK?

no, i am in lousiana. unfortunately i am thinking what you are thinking, in that my vet didn't do it right, and i am worried. unfortunately, in this town/ area i've not got many options for where to take him. from searching online, it seems the nearest "recommended" vet (by rabbit sites/ societies are either 5 hours to the west in dallas or 7 hrs to the south in the new orleans area (and i wouldn't know if any of those are even still in existence after the hurricane) so i don't have a lot of choice.
good news--
i'm kinda going between cuddles and cage time.
i just put him back in his cage and he went after the romaine i put in there with gusto.!! :D
i'll be keeping an eye on him...i just hope that after this what i think is odd surgery he is ok.....

awww huggles. It does sound like a strange place to have the op.

Just make sure he doesn`t start to chew the stitches. If he does you will need to buy a cone thing for around his head and the vet should clue him back together.

As long as hes drinking and eating a little is good and improving on that daily. He will be very sore and might take a few days for him to feel bunny again.

her in New Zealand, I have had 2 boys done. One stitch either side.

keep us posted.

bronie

Have you checked they have done a "closed" neuter i.e. they have stitched up the muscle that drops the testicles otherwise the rabbit could have a hernia!

This article is about rabbit neuters (american based)

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html it mentions going in through the abdomen as a technique but states that going in through the scrotum causes less stress to the rabbit!

Hope he is feeling better soon!

Caz

Depending on which vet does our boys depends on the approach, the majority of ours now only have one incision which is a central approach slightly higher up than the testicles. This is the same as with the guinea pigs, we always used to have 2 wounds, however after our vet undertook a small animal course she now only does one wound instead of the two. I am not sure if this is due to it being quicker by only have one incision and it means less time under anaesthetic or if there is another reason. With one central wound, there are certainly less potential problems with infection as the wound is not trapped within the folds of the animal skin. I don't necessarily think that you should think that your vet is a poor one due to the position of the wound and it only being a single one.

Many of the boys ARC have had castrated are a little groggy on the evening of the surgery and then beginning to bounce about the following day. A lot depends on the anaesthetic used and your own rabbits personal reaction to it all. Feeding wise as you knoe they should and need to get eating and drinking normally as quick as possible however they are normally slower than usual on the immediate day of surgery and will need to be tempted. They following day there is usually a great difference in behaviour and boys are far more active and almost back to normal.

Janice

day # 2-- no swelling or oozing where i can tell. stitches look clean. eating and drinking well. not really paying attention to hay, but chomping away on the mix he gets. maybe not really happy per se, but i don't blame him on that count!!

Back