• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabs Recovery

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
Boys castrated on Monday normally reside in Rabsville but vet said no leaping about, Rabsville has ramps and shelves and young rabs like to leap around so...

Put up a pen in the guest room after they had spent their first night in a small indoor cage. As no leaping around allowed for 10 days until after stitches have been removed, 10 days in small cage would drive them barmy.

RabsRecoveryPen.jpg

Box with newspaer in for weeing. They are such good boys they are using it.

[/img]
Recovery1.jpg

I put Lavender in the pen today so that they wouldn't forget each other. Oxo felt very sexy and was trying to mount her all the time. Pippin got scared. Moved Lavender out after a few minutes (Lavender is spayed by the way) she's very loney in Rabsville on her own.
I think Lavender will just have to visit in the pet carrier until Oxo's hormones settle down. Little monkey!

Rabswood

PS I'm changing the newspaper in the box twice a day but the room really smells of rabbits. Can't put any straw or sawdust in there as don't want to upset stitches. How do people control the rabbit smell when they keep house rabbits?

PPS Although it's smelly it's really lovely having them indoors.

Glad they're recovering well. Evo doesn't smell either (unless he's left a big stinky caecotroph behind :x ). Maybe the smell gets weaker along with the hormones after a neuter? I used Carefresh litter after Evo's neuter and that was fine, and probably more absorbant than newspaper.

..the rabbity smell will lessen as the male hormones reduce after their op'. U could bed them on towels.Obviously creates laundry but more absorbent than newspaper. JCO xx

It's a strange smell. It is the rabbits. It's a definate 'rabbity' smell.Could just be strong smelling wee as they will still be marking their territory. It's not poo. And as I said I am changing the news paper (thick wedges of it) twice a day but still the smell?

Must admit I am quite paranoid about smells though.

Rabswood

i know when i give tobey a kiss he smells of bunny, but it never seems to make the room smell of bunny or anything, i guess its just the smell of his fur. perhaps its cos they're normally in a different environment? i don't know if that would make them smell different after bringing them into a room.. it might make you notice it more or something :?:

They're gorgeous :love:

If the litter box is made of cardboard, it may be that the smell is clinging to that. I use newspaper and hay in Mango and Chutney's litter tray, and change these twice a day. Like you though, I'm a bit sensitive to smells and can still smell them (or THINK I can!) if I don't rinse out the tray with water each time I change it. So I have 2 plastic trays and rotate them - leave one to dry while the other is in use and that works for me.

Don't know if that's the answer but it might be worth a try cos yes, it's GREAT having housebunsters.

Hi Wendy-Jane. The boys are just in the spare room on a temp basis while they have had their stitches out, then it's back to Rabsville in the garden. The vet advised just to have news paper in their we box until their 'bits' are better. I agree the smell could be clinging to the box (and probably my curtains bedding!). The box isn't actually getting wet itself as I've so much news paper in there. Anyway I can cope It wont be for long (10 days). They're worth it. It is lovely having them indoors.

It's near impossible to tell them apart! Lavender is their mum. There were other babies also but they had already been re-homed. It was just Lavender and the boys at Sue's Rabbit Rescue when I adopted them.

Rabswood

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yayyyyyyyyyy Black Bunsters - they are soooooooo cute and just look at those lovely black shiney coats - Glad to hear they are doing o.k :wink:

Back